Activity – Minerals needed to power an electric vehicle and where they are mined
1. Discussion on some of the critical minerals for the green economy & how/where they are mined and provide resources to teachers to assist them in presenting this information:
• Jobs of Tomorrow Video Series (https://media.smenet.org)
• Minerals Education Coalition website
• Educational activities and MEC Mineral Baby (minerals needed in a lifetime) and MEC Minerals Needed Each Year graphics
• USGS listing of where minerals are mined (USGS Commodities Summaries)
2. Discussion on the wide array of exciting work available in the minerals industry and related resources including:
a. Minerals Education Coalition website free resources about careers, including handouts, activities, videos and PowerPoints, and
b. MEC new career-themed activities and new publication of information about related careers.
Careers to be discussed include:
• Mining Engineer
• Geological Engineer
Innovation, artificial intelligence, and technology are all modern mining and minerals industry hallmarks. One of the safest and most lucrative engineering careers today; mining professionals solve problems from project management to meeting mineral demands.
C. Dale Elifrits (Northern Kentucky University: Highland Heights, KY)