Science notebooks are a powerful and flexible tool to support students’ sensemaking. The science notebook creates a space for students to document their thinking, develop and revise models, plan investigations, and analyze data—all of which serve as a record for students of how their ideas have evolved over time. Additionally, strategic use of science notebooks provide opportunities for purposeful communication that are supportive of both science and language learning.
In this four-part professional book study, you will meet Jessica Fries-Gaither, author of NSTA's Notable Notebooks: Scientists and Their Writings, Exemplary Evidence: Scientists and Their Data, and the new Science Notebooks in Student-Centered Classrooms. Jessica and co-presenter Kristen Moorhead will draw on Jessica’s published works and their collective teaching experience to explore:
- Why science notebooks.
- What notebook philosophy best supports phenomenon-driven, three-dimensional teaching and learning.
- How to get started with a science notebooking practice.
The four live web seminars are scheduled from 7:00 – 8:30 PM Eastern time (4:00 - 5:30 PM PT) on the dates below:
- April 12, 19, 26, and May 3, 2023
During the book study participants have access to:
- A moderated private forum for group discussions with other book study participants
- Digital resources and all NSTA online community tools (My Library, My Profile, Community Forums)
- All archive versions of the web seminars to watch on-demand.
Participants will receive a certificate from NSTA after each live web seminar for (1) attending the live program AND (2) completing the post-program survey.
Send your questions to (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Groups of K-8 teachers:
Science Leaders Can Sponsor Groups of Educators! Are you a state, district, or school leader working to enhance your teachers' knowledge and understanding of the use of science notebooks? Sponsor a cohort of teachers to participate in the Science Notebooks in Student-Centered Classrooms: Professional Book Study for K-8 Teachers!
Cost to groups:
- $1,500 flat fee per cohort of 25 participants, regardless of their NSTA membership status. Additional participants (beyond 25) charged at $60 per person.
If you are interested in sponsoring a group of at least 25 individuals, please contact Flavio Mendez via email (email@example.com) for a quote.
Note: Rates below are for individual registration only. Participants must also purchase a copy of the book.