Are you an elementary school teacher working to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)? Register to participate in the Shifting to the NGSS: Professional Book Study for Elementary School Teachers, taking place in January/February 2022! The first web seminar in the series is scheduled to take place January 24, 2022.
NSTA has developed an Online Book Study around the Enhanced E-book: Discover the NGSS. This enhanced e-book offers a comprehensive introduction to the NGSS, including background information, each of the three dimensions in depth, and steps to move teachers toward classroom implementation.
During the online book study, elementary school teachers attend live web seminars and participate in asynchronous discussions with other participants and with the web seminar presenters, Tricia Shelton and Jessica Holman. The web seminars support use of the Enhanced E-book to deepen participant understanding of the innovations of the NGSS. Presenters also share examples and stories from the classroom to illustrate HOW this understanding can be used to translate the NGSS into classroom teaching and learning.
The four live web seminars are scheduled from 7:30-9:00 PM Eastern time (4:30 – 6:00 PM PT) on the dates below (all Mondays):
- January 24, January 31, February 7, and February 14.
During the book study participants have access to:
- A moderated private forum for group discussions with other book study participants
- Digital resources and all NSTA Website online community tools (My Library, My Profile, & Community Forums)
- All archive versions of the web seminars to watch on-demand.
By the end of the book study, participants will be able to:
- Communicate an understanding of the three-dimensions and 3D learning (instruction and assessment)
- Begin to design NGSS lessons that work coherently within an instructional sequence
- Identify phenomena that can drive student learning
Participants will receive a certificate from NSTA after each live web seminar (1.5 hours per web seminar) as evidence of their attendance and participation.
Have questions? Contact a member of the NSTA Team at (email@example.com).
Groups of Elementary School Teachers:
Are you a state, district, or school leader working to enhance your teachers' knowledge and understanding of the three dimensions of the NGSS? Sponsor a cohort of teachers to participate in the Shifting to the NGSS: Professional Book Study for Elementary School Teachers!
Cost to Groups:
- $1,500 flat fee per cohort of 25 participants, regardless of their NSTA membership status. Additional participants charged at $60 per person.
- Cost of the Discover the NGSS Enhanced-E-Book per participant
Please contact Flavio Mendez via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a group quote.
- "Hearing what other teachers had to say and their input helped me realize that it takes time, and with a little bit more practice, I can develop and grow my lessons."
- "It was flexible, relevant, interesting and engaging. It was not a dry lecture with a brilliant philosopher speaking jargon that was undecodable. I like that although the final session is over I have enough resources to continue my personal planning."
- "The videos and the interaction during the seminar as well as in the community forum were my favorite. I enjoyed watching sample lessons and being able to save collections as resources for my personal use."
- "I enjoyed learning something new, valuable, and relevant to my teaching, namely being introduced to the use of phenomena and using models."