Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Ideas for lesson on the 5 senses (hearing!)

Early Childhood

Ideas for lesson on the 5 senses (hearing!)

Author Post
Chonita Clayborne Chonita Clayborne 915 Points

Hi all, can anyone give me lesson ideas for a preschool class (3/4 year olds) about the 5 senses (hearing in particular!) I want the lesson to be interactive and fun! (remember 3 and 4 yr. olds!). Any suggestions, tips or websites (other than Pinterest) that you know of will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Leanna Marie Agustin Leanna Agustin 235 Points

Aloha Chonita,

Learning the five senses is important in child development. Things that young children are exposed to in the outside world shapes their development through experiences, which include their hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste. Exposing students to these senses helps deepen their understanding and knowledge of the world around us. With that said, here is a great resource with plenty of activities to teach your little ones about their senses: https://playtolearnpreschool.us/5-senses-activities/ In addition to the activites, I feel that incorporating a piece of literature or song would also be effective in teaching young minds about hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste. Hope this helps!

Mahalo,

Leanna Agustin

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

Yay for preschool sceince!

With my studetns, I like to start with what they know.  Id have them match familiar objects to organ and senses.  (E.g.bell, eR, and hearing).  And when they pount out they use more than one sense, then you have lots of opportunities for sensorial games to isolate one sense ( feely bag, touch matching, hearing cylinders, etc).

Afterwards, my students susally want to know more about how the organs and sense work together, a great opportunity to begin modeling with students.  As an e ample, my students became 8nrerested in how ears hear sounds, so we used lost of different activities to 'see sound':  guitar strings, rice on drum heads, and so on.  Then they devised a cone to catch the sounds, which ended up looking a lot like the outer ear.   They later added a drum inside the cone to act as the ear drum, and added strings to tell the brain what the drum recorded.  Not a hundred percent accuarte, but not bad for 4's...and it was their ideas  The key being giving the students lots of time and reflecting their questions back while using the science and eng8neering principles

There are lots of similar activities that use the science and engineering practices that are prefectly appropriate for preschoolers in the learning center.

Hope this helps!

Anne

Lisa Lang Lisa Lang 1703 Points

Hi, Chonita- 

I think your topic is a great one. It's so important to engage with our senses in science. For hearing in particular, songbirds make some of the most beautiful sounds in nature. Maybe you could find (or make!) some audio clips of birds singing and play them for your students as a listening activity. It's not a full lesson idea but hopefully it can help get you started. Good Luck!

Best,

Lisa 

Mariah Hollis-Mack Mariah Hollis 415 Points

The five sense are such an important concept for young children to learn. With this being said, you could incorporate hands on stations for each of the stations. Example: coffee beans for smell, slime or playdough for touch etc. Then you can ask what they noticed about each of the sense. For hearing you could play a song and pause, then have them tell you what they hear in the song.

Ashley Cervantes Ashley Cervantes 430 Points

Hello Mariah, off the bat i think your ideas are great! I have always been about having and giving hands on actities. Growing up i have always been both a visual and hands on learner. Of course there are all kinds of different students whom may have a different form of learning but i think that is where the five senses comes within the play of learning. Although, how can we help those whom don't advance in their learning from the five senses? 

Tamera Davis Tamera Davis 415 Points

During the summer, I worked at a nature camp and we did something called sound mapping. We first brought a big sheet of paper and drew the north,south, west, and east compass. Next, we took the children outside and had them take 5-10mins to listen to the things around them with their eyes close. Afterwards, we opened our eyes and drew what we thought we heard in each direction; maybe a plane in the east or a bird chirping in the south. Its important to make sure you have arrows ponting the different drections as most younger children are not familiar with North south etc. I hope this helps and feel free to revise and better it.

Candis Imanaka Candis Imanaka 750 Points

Hi Chonita, 

Learning about the 5 senses is such an impotant thing to learn in child development. There are so many activities you could do with this topic but hearing could be a tricky one. Some things you could do are: 

- sound sensory jars 

- water xylophone 

-  make a phone out of cups and string 

Here's a website that could be useful! 

https://handsonaswegrow.com/non-touch-sensory-activities/

https://teachpreschool.org/2012/10/21/an-exploration-of-sound/

Jeanne Burgess Jeanne Burgess 75 Points

I love all the ideas posted here!  Another idea is to do a 'Sound Bingo' game.  I actually have an actual game I purchased, but you could make one easily.  The students would hear a sound and have to determine what the sound was.  Then, they would mark it off their bingo card.  Sounds included:  musical instruments, animal sounds, train, water running, etc.  They always love this activity! 

Gayshell Canadate Gayshell Canadate 460 Points

Hi,

I had a class when someone introduced me to a lesson, she went to lowes and brought PVC pipes one was a straight pipe then she brought two semi circle pipes and glued the three pieces together to where it looked like a phone (the old school phones) the kids would say something and hear their voice echo the words back to them it was awesome. Hope you use it.

Alyssa Charlton Alyssa Charlton 175 Points

Hello, 

One lesson plans you could do is to have the students try to name what is making the noise that they hear. This a great way for students to stay enganged in what they are learning. 

Alyssa 

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

That's always good!  You can mix it up between household applaices by adding bird calls for local birds .  Cornell's allaboutbirds has many audio files

A variation with his one that can be fun is identifying common classroom songs by rhythm

Enjoy!

Anne

Cassie Loun Cassie 20 Points

I also need some tips and ideas on this topic

John Rides John 10 Points

As an experienced teacher, I understand your concern about the integration of STEM education in early childhood. While it's true that traditional teaching methods have their merits, incorporating STEM activities can greatly benefit young learners. STEM education fosters critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and promotes creativity. It encourages students to explore, inquire, and collaborate, preparing them for future challenges. In my practice, I even allow my students to use this source https://studyhippo.com/test-answers/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever/ and then we are discussing the topic of the tasks. That's also so useful. By incorporating hands-on experiments, building models, and engaging in real-world applications, we can spark their curiosity and lay a solid foundation for future learning.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers