Forums

Elementary Science

Bees!

Author Post
Victoria Tomik Victoria Tomik 225 Points

Hello! I recently went to a training about bees and was really interested. The information provided did not however transfer well to younger grades. Does anyone have any good/positive lessons on bees and their impact on the environment?

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

victoria,

I decided to give your question a stab without knowing the age of the children. I have some resources that are connected to honeybees. One is a Science & Children article pre-NGSSHoneybees, Butterflies, and Ladybugs: Partners to Plants

Another pre-NGSS resource is something I put together or maybe it was one of my colleagues who were elementary Presidential Award winners in science. I am attaching it but I am going to do some revision work. If you choose to use this resource connect with me because I think I am going to make a NGSS Honeybee Collection.

Kathy

Attachments

Debbie Rexing Debbie Rexing 270 Points

http://www.scholastic.com/browse/unitplan.jsp?id=283 Great web-site above about bees. A few years back I visited a bee keeper in Reno, Nevada, and he taught me so much about bees. Try to contact your local beekeeper...they're full of fascinating facts. Video tape the event and show your student real footage with you in it. It will make an impression to open you lessons. Have fun....

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I did a simple search with the word "bees" and it brought it up several great articles and book chapters. Try that and see if it helps you. Good luck.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Victoria, I think I could provide you with more guidance if I knew which grade levels I would be working with when I was developing/finding instructional pieces. What I would do for K-2 would be very different for grades 3-5. Kathy

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

I agree, Kathy, that the appropriate resources will vary with age. Preschoolers can observe bees and other pollinators visiting flowers but some might not be ready to learn the details of seed formation.

The Wisconsin Fast Plants website has information about the relationship between bees and the Brassica rapa plants.
Here is one of their resources:
http://resources.fastplants.org//ngss/bee-inganengineer.pdf

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Victoria, I saw in your profile that you work with kids through PLAY at the YMCA. If you have an area outside the Y with lots of flowers, you could take the kids outside, give them each a Q-tip and have them pretend they are a pollinator, then pollinate some flowers. The pollen grains are easy to see at the end of a Q-tip and the kids enjoy going from flower to flower. Just remind them that they need to take pollen of one flower type to another flower of the same type. Carolyn

Claire Reinburg Claire Reinburg 495 Points

Hi, Victoria,
NSTA Press has a book titled Buzz Into Action: The Insect Curriculum Guide for Grades K-4 that you might want to browse. The sample chapter 'Bee Factory' is posted for free in the NSTA Science Store along with some introductory materials and teaching tips for this topic.

Claire

Colin Hutchins Colin Hutchins 725 Points

Victoria, First thing that jumps to my mind when you ask about bees is the Magic School Bus cartoon. I believe they had a episode that talked specifically about plants, bees, and pollination. Might be a good thing to show you students so they can see how bees impact life all around us.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers