Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Classroom Management

New Teachers

Classroom Management

Author Post
Heather Lentz Heather Lentz 670 Points

My name is Heather Lentz and I teach science at a rural school in southeast Arizona.  My classes include 7th and 8th grade science, biology, and Earth science.  I am always looking for tips and tricks to help with classroom management.  I have a few students who like to chatter excessively and I was hoping to receive advice on methods that have worked to help alleviate this disruption.  I am also looking for advice on how to involve students that are reluctant to participate in a group setting.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

There is no one answer fits all for this question. I don't mind students talking, especially when it's content related. I am aware that some school cultures do not embrace that mindset. I do agree that when students are engaged, they are less likely to talk about things other than the activity at hand. I teach elementary students but I would bet that you could teach students how to make an argument based on evidence to support their claims which is very engaging. 

Having said that, when I have a super chatty class that seems to be more engaged in social skills than science skills, I speed up the lesson. I move through things quickly and start adding in extra objectives that need to be accomplished before the end of class. It doesn't take long for the chatty people to start asking other students to tell them what is happening and they wonder how they got off track so fast. (I don't really require all the things I say and write on the board during an experience like that, however, they get the message that if they don't pay attention, they will miss out on something.) The next day, we go back over classroom norms. 

Hannah James Hannah James 115 Points

Hi Heather, 

I am a Preservice teacher at Wartburg College in Iowa. Like Molly said, first making sure that students are engaged will eliminate the chattiness. A couple of questions I have are, are the students seated by their friends and the chatting can be replaced by moving them or is it the same students chatty no matter who they sit by? If it is the same students, could you work out a plan with them that if they have so many days without talking excessively that they would get some sort of reward such as sitting by their friend for a day?

For the students who aren't contributing, could you assign roles to each group member so that each student in the group has a role they must accomplish? This way they have a clear expectation for how to contribute. 

Hannah James '20 Elementary Education
Science, Special Education, and Reading Endorsements
Volunteer Action Center Student Director
Phi Eta Sigma Service Chair
NSTA Wartburg Chapter President

Hannah James Hannah James 115 Points

Hi Heather, 

I am a Preservice teacher at Wartburg College in Iowa. Like Molly said, first making sure that students are engaged will eliminate the chattiness. A couple of questions I have are, are the students seated by their friends and the chatting can be replaced by moving them or is it the same students chatty no matter who they sit by? If it is the same students, could you work out a plan with them that if they have so many days without talking excessively that they would get some sort of reward such as sitting by their friend for a day?

For the students who aren't contributing, could you assign roles to each group member so that each student in the group has a role they must accomplish? This way they have a clear expectation for how to contribute. 

Hannah James '20 Elementary Education
Science, Special Education, and Reading Endorsements
Volunteer Action Center Student Director
Phi Eta Sigma Service Chair
NSTA Wartburg Chapter President

Brian Josephsen Brian Josephsen 1603 Points

Hi Heather,

You are likely already aware that there are plenty of books written on the subject of classroom management. From the ones that I have read it appears they all have a common thread: Building a relationship with the students built on mutual respect makes for a better learning environment. It will vary greatly on the dynamics between you and those students as to how to make that happen. Middle school aged youth are very social beings. Maybe you can encourage them to talk at appropriate times and on subject by making the most talkative students leaders of small group discussions? Or offering a reward of 5 minutes of free talk at the end of class if they stay on subject and get through the lesson? For the less active members of class, maybe assign them as the spokespersons for the small groups when the class is sharing knowledge gained from the discussions. Also, integrated STEM lessons have the potential to be very engaging.

Here are some of the books I've read:

Berckemeyer, J. C. 2009. Managing the madness: A practical guide to middle grades classrooms. Westerville, Ohio: National Middle School Association.

Fay, J. & Funk, D. (1995). Teaching with love & logic: Taking control of the classroom. Golden, CO: The Love and Logic Press, Inc.

Marzano, R. J., Marzano, J. S. & Pickering, D. J. (2003). Classroom management that works: Research-based strategies for every      teacher. Alexandria, Virginia: ASCD.

Hope that helps!

-Brian Josephsen

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Heather,

Like Pamela alluded - there is 'good noise' and 'bad noise'.  I personally like a chatty, active classroom provided, as others have said, that the students are on task.  So, give them opportunities to chat and work in groups but keep them occupied with thought-provoking topics or problems.  Make up the groups yourself to counteract socializing among close friends.  Give them time limits and have several things planned to counteract the social talk like bonus or challenge activities. Having groups or individuals present to the class is often a good way to wrangle the talkers and channel their chattiness into meaningful class work.

Sometimes, you have to resort to a seating plan.  Break up students who chat too much and tell them that you might move them back with their friends if they can prove to you that they can work dilligently without disruptive talk for a week or two.  

With respect to your second question about reluctant group members - my advice changes with different types of group work.  Hands-on and lab activities you need everyone to participate so create roles that each member has to step into.  Build this right into your verbal or written instructions and have each member assume a responsibility. I have attached roles I assigned to STEM projects.

Sometimes I believe that shy students need more time to collate their thoughts and aren't able to butt into conversations.  Try to build in time for some individual reflection or thinking and ensure that everyone in a group to has their turn.  So, for group discussions or problem-solving use 'Think-Pair-Share' approaches where students write down their discussion points before any conversations and then share with a partner or group.  Shy students will have something to contribute and have that opportunity to speak up about it.  

Employ some self-assessments or group assessments as part of the process.  I attached one that I have used.

Hope this helps!

- Gabe

Attachments

Molly Hart Molly Hart 525 Points

Hi Heather,

I am a pre-service teacher and dealing with some of the same concerns. I am working with 6th graders in both Math and ELA. Some things that I have noticed really help with the excessive side chater is making sure the students are engaged. You can do this by keeping the content relative and relatable to them. Additionally, using hands-on and interactive learning is key to getting students involved and engaged. Hope this is helpful!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers