Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Poverty's Effects on Learning

New Teachers

Poverty's Effects on Learning

Author Post
Meaghan Collins Meaghan Collins 275 Points

I am currently working on completing a Master's degree in secondary education, biology. I will be student teaching next semester, and I have been substitute teaching in a few districts. This week in my grad class, we are discussing how poverty affects students. Reflecting on my science experience in high school, I remember having to buy a lot of supplies for various projects, such as building a bridge, building a camera, posterboard... How do I help my students successfully complete projects if they do not have access to the supplies they need? Will I be able to use some of my budget to buy supplies for student projects? Also, how can I help students complete homework/papers/lab reports if they do not have internet or computer access at home? How do I make accomodations for students living in poverty without single them out? 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Meaghan,

Some school districts have a large percentage of their student body living in poverty, while others have so few that those particular students may go unnoticed and underserviced.  In my school district (in a northwestern suburb of Chicago) there were families living out of their cars whose children attended our schools.  Our school districts need to address the poverty of their students (and their families) at a number of different levels. First and foremost is the health issue: Health issues will impact students' abilities to learn and stay well enough to attend school (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs comes to mind). There is an article by Michael Bratsis in The Science Teacher that is a quick read and addresses this: Health Wise: Countering Poverty's Effects on Learning - Helping Students Make Healthy Choices (Summer 2016).

Once basic needs are satisfied, then teachers may need to get creative and generous in how they address and help their students who do not have access to the same materials and equipment because of lack of funds.  You may be the one who finds that company/corporation in the school district boundaries that will be willing to provide scholarships or grants to deserving students.  Or perhaps you will find generous support from PTOs or other organizations willing to donate or loan equipment for students lacking  financial resources. Fortunately, libraries now have computer stations and access to internet for families in the community, but that will mean students needing to leave their homes to get their work done if they have no internet access.  

It will be interesting to hear from teachers out there who have encountered or presently experience this very sad situation.  Please share with us ways you helped your students to be successful.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Poverty affects students in a myriad of ways. Yes, you're correct, it greatly affects their ability to gather materials needed and have access to information needed for research. I teach elementary, however we have similar issues. For students who do not have internet access or support from family at home, I print out the information they need and help them get started on projects. I also check with them daily, ask to see what they have, and may modify what they need compared to the others in class. I meet with students in small groups- they do not know that they are in those groups based on need, and we discuss what they must do. For those that need posters, I have them come to the classroom before school starts or at the end of the day so I can give them the materials. Some of my students have to care for younger siblings at home, I allow them to keep their materials at school and work on it during recess or at other times throughout the day. Rarely does anyone say anything negative about it but in those cases, I speak to the student in the hallway and explain how everyone is different and that if they ever need something the other students do not need, then I will make sure they get what they need to be successful. 

I am so thankful you are aware of the needs of your students. 

Kate Campbell Kate Campbell 1820 Points

Hello. 

I agree with you 100%. During my middle school and high school days I remember having to go out and get supplies on my own for projects like posterboard, glue, colored pencils, and other supplies. To combat this a teachers, we could make sure the projects we are assigning are realistic for each student and making sure that our lessons aren't to demanding of our students. We could also allow students to use the supplies we have in our classroom like colored markers or glue, and also having students voulenteer to share their own materials is another way to help students. Also giving in class work time could help students feel less stressed by having time to work in class instead of completeing it all at home. Giving students other resources like the school library or art classroom where those supplies could accessible to them. A way to get these needed supplies in your classroom without spending all of your own money is by having students/families donate supplies if they are able, but making sure the families know that this is something that is required and that they don't have to donate supplies if they are unable too. By being aware of each families struggle will help us as teachers when it comes to planning lessons or assigning projects. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I'm always on the lookout for things I can recycle in the classroom. Smoothie King has white plastic tubs they rinse out then throw away. I ask for them so students can keep various tools inside or we can use them for science experiments. The local newspaper has end rols of newsprint that they will donate if asked. It's those little things that can add up and we just have to ask and find a place to keep those items. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers