Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM

STEM

STEM

Author Post
Melissa Miranda Melissa Miranda 370 Points

Hi everyone!

My name is Melissa Miranda and I am senior studying to be a future elementary educator. I just finished creating a STEM lesson where students have to build the tallest tower using limited materials and constraints. I put them into teams so that they can take part in planning a solution to how they can build the tallest tower. Do you think it would be more beneficial if the teacher puts them into teams or they choose their own teams?

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Assign teams.  Otherwise it might become like a popularity contest, and some students might feel bad.  Also, some students are shy, and would be hesistant to ask others to be on their team.

For future activities, switch the team members around.

Jacky Echeverria Jacky Echeverria 320 Points

Hi Melissa!

I think assigning teams is the perfect 'real world' scenario that children can be put in. When they get into their careers outside of school, they often cannot choose who they work with, as much as they would like to. This is quite common in the STEM field as well, which fits perfectly with your lesson on engineering teams. Not only is it a real world scenario, but as others have mentioned, some students get anxiety when having to choose their own partners since they may not be very social or not know anyone in the classroom. It is always important to give students choice, however, there is always a time and a place for it, and I believe in this case, it would be best for them to be assigned! 

Illiana Farfan Illiana Farfan 750 Points

Hi,

I agree with Mr. Bobrowsky, assigning teams is the best way to go. When I was in grammar school I always dreaded finding a partner due to my anxiety. I think more students then you know will benefit from you picking teams then allowing them to. 

Also you don't want they to always pick their friends and talk the whole time do you? Haha.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers