Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Any Advice? (Future Educator)

Early Childhood

Any Advice? (Future Educator)

Author Post
Janelle Flores Janelle Flores 270 Points

Hello! I will be graduating next year from college and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? I will be a new teacher soon and thinking about what comes after college kind of scares me. As a new teacher I want to be sure I know what I'm doing and want to take it day by day, but I want advice on what I can look out for in students, like how to manage their behaviors or tempers especially when you don't know how to handle the situation. If anyone has advice, I would love to hear it.

Jack Bevans Jack Bevans 660 Points

Hello there! I am currently a junior in college and have had similar concerns. Going into the real world of education can be a very scary thing, especially because it is very difficult to know what to expect from your students, coworkers, or district. However, I believe it is your drive to be there for your students and support them that will guarantee your success as an educator. When it comes specifically to managing the behaviors of your students, it may be beneficial to remember to always praise them for their successes. Doing this will push them to work hard and achieve as much as they can. The use of reinforcers may also be an option within your classroom. Between positive and negative reinforcers, positive ones are more commonly used in schools. These can include praise, grades, stars, or links on a chain. Negative reinforcers, although less commonly used in classrooms, can include holding your students behind during recess or something of that nature. It is important to recognize that negative reinforcers are different than punishments. A way to remember what is considered a negative reinforcer rather than a punishment is that negative reinforcers strengthen a behavior while punishments are designed to discourage or weaken a behavior. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your classroom!

Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

Hi Janelle! I am also on my last year at Wartburg College and will be teaching full time next year. I asked some of my field experience teachers some of my concerns and I will now relay those out to you.

Here's some insight I've picked up from my 7 cooperating teachers. 

It's perfectly okay to feel a bit overwhelmed. I would say to ask your cooperating teacher absolutely everything you are worrying about. Take advantage of your student teaching experience and ask your cooperating teacher if you can start teaching before your second week there. Ask your teacher how they organize their lessons and what their lesson plan template looks like (it will be way more vague then the ones you do in college for your professors). Remember, teachers are in high demand right now so you will find a job somewhere. The most important thing to look for when job hunting or undergoing interviews is to ask how the team culture is within the grade you will teach. Your first year will be difficult, but it makes all the difference in the world if you have a great team who is willing to share their lesson plans with you. Sometimes the school assigns you a mentor, and sometimes you just find that person that you click with and they take you under your wing. Find a person on your team and go to them whenever you have questions or concerns. Remember to breathe and be okay with your room not looking the way you want it to the first year. You accumulate many things on your wish list over the years. Apply for grants to get the items you want in your classroom as much as you can. 

For classroom management, make it a priority to build positive relationships with your students right away. If you respect them and take the time to show that you care, they will want to do well for you. Make sure you relay to your students that you are a person first, and a teacher second. Share your past experiences with your students and see where you have common ground. Be authentically you! Students always know if you aren’t being yourself. Create a positive environment in your classroom where students feel safe, heard, and cared for. This is where the best learning happens.

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

Hey I myself am a sophomore college student. I however have been in the education field working at a church preschool since I was in 8th grade. Kids will try to take advantage of you. If you make your rules known and discipline the kids as soon as you see something isn't how it's supposed to be you should be okay. I would reward the kids that listened with a treasure box prize. For the kids on the other end send reports by phone to the parents. I would meet with parents if the child still isn't making behavior improvements. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers