Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching through Trade Books

Elementary Science

Teaching through Trade Books

Author Post
Toneka Bussey Toneka Bussey 1928 Points

Hello,

I'm trying to encourage reading in science and integration of literacy.  Is there a set or series of trade books for elementary kids that correlates with 5th grade standards? If so, please share!  Thanks

Kay McLeod Kay 1515 Points

Hi Toneka,

The Picture Perfect Science lesson books have five different books of lessons...many of the lessons will align with your science and literacy standards for 5th grade.... each lesson also includes reading one or two (usually two) picture books along with the 5E lesson. There are also other books, such as Teaching Science through Trade Books which I think has already been recommended to you, although it does not include the strong literacy strategies and support found in the Picture Perfect Science lessons.   The chart that aligns the PP Science book lessons and books by grade level with NGSS can be found online at Picture Perfect Science or at the NSTA website if you search Picture Perfect Sciesnce NGSS correlations. If your state science standards are NGSS or leading to NGSS, this might be helpful.  If different science standards from NGSS, if you'll let me know, I'd be able to give you my opinion of which lessons would be best for your standards (I've used/taught several of the PP lessons and correlated them to different standards for several states so it won't be too hard for me to help with that).   I may even have a few of the trade/picture books to donate to your class.  Good luck with the upcoming school year.  Hope it is a great one!  

Claire Reinburg Claire Reinburg 495 Points

Hi, Toneka,

I wanted to post a link to NSTA's webpage about Picture-Perfect Science/STEM (which both Kay and Megan mentioned). At that link you can click over to download a sample lesson from each of the five books. We also have a resource that uses biographies of scientists and engineers as part of the lessons with a focus on the practices of science and engineering: Eureka! Grade 3-5 Science Activities and Stories. There's a free lesson of that book you can download, too. In case these links are helpful!

Best wishes for the new school year,

Claire

Destiny Huggins Huggins 10040 Points

Try the Max Axiom series, they are graphic novels, but do a great way teaching on the topic. There is also a teachers edition book that you can purchase that includes lessons.

Picture Perfect also offers a great mix of nonfiction and fiction trade books to go with lessons!

Megan Doty Megan Doty 11847 Points

Hi Toneka,

NSTA has a few items that I think may be helpful for you! I found a couple of books and then a popular journal column that all include ideas for incorporating trade books into your science lessons. 

First, check out Teaching Science Through Trade Books here: https://learningcenter.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/9781936959136

Then, check out the Picture Perfect series of books; there are quite a few but here is one to get you started: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/9781935155171

Finally, there is a column included within a lot of issues of Science & Children called 'Teaching Science Through Trade Books.' You can browse through all the issues at this link (and then find these particular columns): https://learningcenter.nsta.org/browse_journals.aspx?journal=sc&year=2018

I hope these help! If you end up using any of these, please let me know!

-Megan

Ruth McDonald Ruth McDonald 1980 Points

Hi All,

Thought you would like to know that there is an online Picture Perfect STEM course beginning Sept. 26th. Look here for information: http://www.nsta.org/district/pps.aspx#workshops

The course is $175, and you receive a free Picture Perfect eBook of your choice, and there are also 2 grad credits available at your own cost.

Ruth McDonald

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers