Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Virtual Emotional Support Animals

Elementary Science

Virtual Emotional Support Animals

Author Post
Caitlin Dreismeier Caitlin Dreismeier 360 Points

My name is Caitlin Dreismeier and I am a 4th year elementary education major at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. I plan to begin teaching next school year in the Cedar Rapids area.

This past May I had the opportunity to conduct research with a group of my peers. For our topic we studied the effect of virtual emotional support animals on anxiety during remote learning. We classified emotional support animals (ESA) as any animal that gives comfort to its handler in-person. We found a way to provide virtual access to these animals for students and people who otherwise may have no access at all. We allowed students to video call with animals (dogs in our case) while they did remote learning classes and assignments. We compared their anxiety levels with groups of students with no ESA and students with an ESA in-person. The research showed that the virtual ESAs were as effective and possibly even more effective in reducing student anxiety during remote learning than the in-person ESAs.

Using this research, we realized we could implement this technique in classrooms and schools in many different ways to help our students feel less anxious during school. We could video chat with an animal and broadcast it on our board during tests so students may watch the animal when they get nervous. We could even allow students to access a video chat or recorded video with an animal individually to take a break and calm down when they become anxious.

My question is; would teachers utilize this strategy/research in their classrooms or schools? Also, if you would, how would you use it to benefit your students?

Kaeli Myers Kaeli Myers 305 Points

Cailtin, 

I honestly love this research topic. From personal experience, it's really hard to sit at a computer and stare at a screen all day long doing virtual learning. Answering the question from the perspective of a preservice teacher, I would 100% utilize this strategy in my future classroom or look at implementing this in my future school. I am a big advocate for finding new and exciting ways to help reduce the stress and anxiety of students. During times like teaching in a pandemic, you never know what a student is experiencing inside or outside of the classroom. And with virtual learning, there are so many outside factors that teachers are not always able to see that they could better observe inside the classroom. With a lot of new procedures in place, it would definietly be hard to bring more people into the school and especially be hard to bring in emotional support animals. By allowing students to virtually interact with an ESA, they are still able to learn the material they need to learn but in an environment that can be less stressful or anxious for them.

Mariah Heffernan Mariah Heffernan 305 Points

Hi Cailtin, 

I found your post very interesting as this aspect of distance learning has not been something that I was aware of, but I think it would be an excellent tool. I actually can relate to this concept of video calling an animal because I am away at college and sometimes my mom put my dog on facetime. I think that this would be great because it would help out those that are employed in training the ESA, as well as the animals themselves. While certainly benefitting students that are in need of this service as well. I think that this strategy could be used as a reward for students with behavioral issues, or even to increase motivation in students. But I think it could also be used during tests or lessons to decrease anxiety of students as long as it isn't too much of a distraction. 

Peggy Ashbrook Peggy Ashbrook 10953 Points

Caitlin,  your research sounds fascinating! Can you publish it somewhere so others can see your process?  It would also be interesting to see a comparison between virtual live “chats” with animals and recorded videos of animals. 

I’d love to learn more about it.

Best wishes, Peggy 

Caitlin Dreismeier Caitlin Dreismeier 360 Points

Hello Peggy! Thank you so much for your feedback!

I created a collection on my page that has both our research paper and handout for this topic so you should be able to view it now. The paper has also been attached here. We were having a bit of trouble with uploading so please let me know if you have any issues.

I love the idea of comparing between live ¨chats¨and actual videos with animals to see the different effect it can have on anxiety. Possibly my group could take our research further with that topic.

Thank you again!

Caitlin Dreismeier

Elizabeth Martin Elizabeth Martin 375 Points

I was a part of Cailtin's research team, thanks for your input! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers