Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / The Lorax

Elementary Science

The Lorax

Author Post
Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

I recently found the two attached articles in the Learning Center about using The Lorax by Dr. Seuss to teach science. I want to develop a cross-curricular lesson plan using The Lorax to teach science (recycling, pollution, botany, deforestation, zoology), language arts, math, and art. Although this book has been popular and a favorite for years, I'd really like to capitalize it's new found popularity since the new Lorax movie has just been released. Has anyone else used this book, or another Dr. Seuss book, to teach elementary science?

Thanks!
Maureen

Caitlyn Baeza Caitlyn Baeza 920 Points

I found this great resource that you could use to incorporate ELA into the lesson with the Lorax! I love this idea because I LOVE this movie! Great for Earth Day activities!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Maureen, excellent resources!

Ashley Millan Ashley Millan 280 Points

This is a great idea because you can actually incorporate #1 literature, by reading and applying vocabulary form the book #2 math, using the different cartoons and depending on the grade level #3 environmental science. It might seem like a hard topic for kids but is really simple, also topics of reusing, recycling and redoing are great in order to have some help in this topic

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

Maureen - thank you for the great article on systems approach! I have been teaching a class for 5th graders the past few years called Lessons form the Lorax. We use the story to guide us as we discuss our feelings about and understanding of sustainability, we develop model ecosystems and just today we started our race to reforestation - growing dwarf Teddy Bear sunflowers! I've attached some other resources - a link to the old movie (much shorter) and a question guide for using the book (think Jr Great Books style).

Attachments

Margot Jacobs Margot Jacobs 650 Points

These are awesome! I will definitely be using these! Thanks! 

Cielo Sanchez Cielo Sanchez 835 Points

These are really helpful resources! Thanks for sharing. Cielo

Brittany Gilchrest Brittany Gilchrest 1165 Points

These are some really good ideas. I never thought to integrate the Lorax into a unit of environmental science.

We really need to bump this up! Great resources.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Maureen and Caryn, I have used the Lorax in middle school during our environmental unit, and I have used Bartholomew and the Oobleck during my atoms and matter unit. "Kids" of all ages love Dr. Seuss! Carolyn

Beverly Beinlich Beverly Beinlich 2450 Points

I was able to use the Lorax for a kindergarten workshop. I used it as an introduction to our workshop on trees. By selecting only the necessary pages to read to the group I was able to develop a conversation regarding the effects that losing all our trees would have. It was exciting to see how the students were able to connect the story to real-life examples.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

This may be a little off the subject but the iPhone has a Lorax app that is cool. It would probably work best with smaller children. The app is a picture of the Lorax and his mouth moves when the person holding the iPhone or someone near talks. It would be a cool way for the Lorax to talk to students if the teacher put it in front of them and talked to the students.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

This sounds so fun and engaging for young kiddos. I will have to see if it is still available.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

I couldn't hold off on looking! There are currently 2 Lorax apps on the Apple app store. Both cost money, $3.99 and $.99 (with in app offers). It doesn't appear that they talk as they did in 2012. The $3.99 app is the Lorax narrative. $.99 appears to be creating and growing a Truffula tree garden - virtual science!

Wow! What a great response to my question and thank you all so much for your input. Caryn, Carolyn, and Beverly, thank you for sharing how you have used the Lorax with your students. I'm curious, did you make this a cross curricular unit (with LA or art) and if so, what cross-curricular ties did you make? Betty, thank so sharing the iPhone app. I didn't know that existed, but I'll be sure to look for it now! Maureen

Rebecca Johnson Rebecca 415 Points

Thank you for the great ideas! I love Dr. Seuss books. I recently bought the part of the educational line (for example: there's no place like space). great and so much FUN.

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

Rebecca - do you teach early grades? You may also be interested in the Dr. Suess planning calendar site - there are tie ins across the curriculum - many of them for science! [url=http://www.seussville.com/Educators/educatorPlanningCalendar.php] Suessville Planning Calendar[/url]

Michael Leslie Michael Leslie 2110 Points

I also liked the Lorax movie and thought of the possibilities of integrating it within an environmental or self-sustainability lessons. The point of the air being affects by having no trees was a good point as well as the glowing child who swam in the polluted water. I also found the sustainability aspect interesting of how the people could live with the manufactured air and the could maybe go with our school new aquaponics setup and self-sustainability. The movie would be a good intro is it illegal to cut clips from the movie and only show the parts you want you?

Kellee Kelly Kellee Kelly 7800 Points

I also think Rango is a good movie to watch to show how humans can manipulate resources such as water. Beware, it is a Western so there is a couple of scenes with guns.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Michael,
I was thinking about your question, 'The movie would be a good intro is it illegal to cut clips from the movie and only show the parts you want you?'
There is a good article in the NLC about Copyrights and the Educator. It has a few guidelines that you might find helpful to consider.
I know I used to show a three-minute section of Jurassic Park (the first movie) that was about DNA in my Life Science course. I had legally obtained a copy of the movie, so I saw no problem with showing a portion of it. As an educator/teacher, we do have some privileges for showing some things for educational purposes without being bogged down in legalities. Your district should have someone in charge of answering legal questions for their teachers. In my district if my tech director doesn't know the answer, she asks the assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction. If he doesn't know an answer to my legal questions, he asks the district's lawyer. Rules, policies and laws are different depending on where you live, so it is always best to get your answer from an administrator in your district.
I hope this helps.
Carolyn

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

In the past I have trained teachers for the local PBS station on how to use video interactively by showing short clips that pertain specifically to your curriculum. So, I believe that if you have the legal rights to the video, you can show just parts you want to. BUT, this is just my thoughts, SO be sure to check with your school administration!

Kirsten Green Kirsten Green 2175 Points

Incorporating the Lorax into lessons is a great idea and something that I will look into when I start teaching. It is something that attracts the children's attention because it is a cartoon and tells a story. It is relevant to them as children. It, also, gives them another way to connect their learning to something they may already be familiar with. There are so many themes in the story that can be used in lessons to teach the students, especially about our environment, which make it an awesome resource! I am glad I found this thread! Thanks for the idea!

Paula Evans Paula Roknick-Evans 2640 Points

Aloha, I am going to be using this book and movie clips for an environmental science unit. We are exploring ideas of sustainability. We are growing a classroom garden and looking at ways to support local agriculture here in Hawaii. I plan on having my fourth graders examine how food gets to their plate, and how growing and eating local foods help the environment and our nutritional needs as well. I am going to have them bring in local foods from our Farmer's Market and we are going to make a classroom recipe book as well to cover some language arts standards. If you have any more ideas, I'd love to hear them! Good luck with your unit!

Lauren Cooke Lauren Cooke 1845 Points

I have used the Lorax to teach about pollution and the environment, and I have found that it is an excellent source! I read the book to a small group of children, and first had them point out the issues that they thought were happening at certain points in the book (the trees being cut down, the fish dying, etc.) From there, I asked them if they thought the book was fiction or non fiction. Being a Dr. Suess book, they assumed it was all fake. I took this answer to then move into my lesson on pollution and its negative effect on the environment. While I explained that the book itself is not real, the problem is. I then showed real pictures of polluted areas. The kids were able to make real life connections with the story. I found that this book was a great resource, and definitely got the kids attention.. everyone loves a good Dr. Suess book! We were also able to inspire some of the kids to help clean up their neighborhoods. A simple science lesson turned into a way to help the students become aware of their surroundings. Lauren Cooke

J Y Jodi Yamashiro 90 Points

Theresa Smith Theresa Smith 3450 Points

I love this whole thread! Before reading these posts, I hadn't even made a connection between children's storybooks and potential lessons or activities. I, for one, am a big fan of Dr. Seuss books and they always got me pumped because of the rhyming (who doesn't love a good rhyme?). I think that using The Lorax to teach students about pollution, deforestation, and other environmental issues is a wonderful idea! I'm studying to be a teacher now, and I am so excited to use some of your ideas in the future!

Meagan Beach Meagan Beach 3175 Points

The Lorax is a wonderful book to use for a science lesson! It would be very easy to read the book as a way to introduce the topic, and then continue with different activities over time. The students could become recycling advocates and "speak for the trees" but giving a presentation to other classes about why it is important to care about the environment. I think using a Dr. Seuss book could work for many grades, but would definitely work well for younger students. I did a small activity in first grade using The Lorax, and the kids were really excited to talk about the different themes in the book and brainstorm together.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

This is a very exciting thread! I particularly like the parts where people are going to have students actively engaged in lessons where the Lorax in the introduction but there is lot more science that is explored. Sustainability is a perfect connection, Caryn and others. Maureen, the systems approach is awesome. Implementing it systematically calls for true integration where the discipline of each content is honored. Beverly, I am truly impressed you used this with kindergarten students. The fact that you realized you don't need to read the entire book for quality instruction. WOW!! I hope all of you take advantage of the CCSS in ELA with this book. It would be an excellent opportunity to include some close reading of complex texts. When I think about that book, I think there is text that could be considered for all grades K -5. It might be fun to flesh out some science and ELA lessons using this text?? What do others think? Kathy

Kehau Samuelu DonnaLynn Samuelu 3485 Points

This was a very interesting thread. I love all the ideas and connections that can be made with this one book. Thank you all for sharing.

Michael Leslie Michael Leslie 2110 Points

The Lorax and sustainability, what a great connection. I never really think about that connection. The environmental connection was pretty straightforward but sustainability is great. I’m thinking of using this as a connection to our schools new aquaponics center. Aquaponics is all about sustainability and maybe using the topic of sustainability. Also I could have the students give sustainability solutions so what happened in the Lorax could have been avoided. There is also fish in the Lorax too or I might be stretching too much

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Michael, The University of Massachusetts has a nice list of lesson plans and resources for middle school sustainability http://leadsroosevelt.umassd.wikispaces.net/Sustainability+Lesson+Plans Another excellent resources is the green education foundation http://www.greeneducationfoundation.org/institute/lesson-clearinghouse.html Yale environment 360 is an excellent source for sustainability news http://e360.yale.edu/ Hope that helps you get started

Casi Kamei Casi Kamei 285 Points

I've used The Lorax and Wump World to teach sustainability and the effects of pollution. You can use it to hit Reading, Writing, Oral, and Science benchmarks. I usually introduce the concepts of pollution and sustainability to my class first. Then I read the two stories. The students need to then compare and contrast their environment/lives to the characters in the story.

Another Dr. Seuss resource that I use for Social Studies to teach the Economics concepts is The Sneetches. I know these are just children's books, but they really teach some important academic concepts that you can use for all ages.

Paula Evans Paula Roknick-Evans 2640 Points

@ Lauren Cooke, Thanks for sharing a great way to use a movie to introduce kids to environmental issues. I used a similar strategy and found it to be engaging and a great hook to introduce the subject. I think using the Lorax to get kids interested in becoming stewards of the planet is important and gets them thinking about what they can do to help with these issues. I love that you asked students what was fiction and what was real as you read through the story, I will use this strategy next time for sure! Thanks for sharing; what a great thread! Paula

Erica Kawamura Erica Kawamura 1500 Points

This is a great way to teach the students about sustainability. Our students will be our country's future leaders and we need to teach them to take care of the world we live in. I like the idea of teaching the students that the story is fiction but the problem is real. It is a great idea to show students real photographs of pollution and how it is affecting our lives. I would use those ideas and also have the students write a persuasive writing piece about why humans should make changes to their lives to save the Earth. Students can give suggestions to others and become advocates for sustainability. I want them to know that their voices are just as important as adults.

Denise Karratti Denise Karratti 820 Points

I haven't used The Lorax book yet, but was planning to in 3rd quarter. I wanted students to see the parallels between The Lorax and the sandalwood trade that occurred in Hawaii. I was looking to make it an integrated unit, with science and language arts. I'd like students to be able to identify who might be the Lorax in the sandalwood situation, who might be the Onceler etc. Since we are currently studying food chains and food webs, I will also make sure that I bring students back to see how all the parts fit together. How did the depletion of sandalwood affect Hawaii's environment? It wasn't just a loss of trees!

Gizelle Sanchez Gizelle Sanchez 5540 Points

Hey all! I love the idea of using Dr. Seuss books to teach science concepts. I haven't used The Lorax, but now that you mention it, it would be a great book to teach environmental science. I like the connections to recycling, deforestation, and pollution. I did write a lesson plan using Bartholomew and the Oobleck to teach students about non-Newtonian fluids, although you wouldn't use that terminology with students at the elementary level. I also have a link to an activity,http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/ooze.html, called Outrageous Ooze. You actually have the students create Oobleck! Use it because it keeps them completely engaged in the lesson. And have them perform tests on the oobleck to determine if its a solid or a liquid. Lead them to figure out it actually has properties of both. You can also teach them about viscosity. Try it with your students and let me know how it goes :)

Brenda Piccone Brenda Piccone 3470 Points

I think that a good topic in which you can use the lorax story is in the "going green" approach or taking care of our enviroment. I think the movie and book The Lorax, although written long ago, highlights many of the issues that our society is facing now. So it would be helpful to use this book when teaching students to take care of the enviroment and recycle and to take care of nature. I think you can adapt this book and use it in different subject in science and in virtually any age group.

Jennifer Perry Jennifer Perry 2250 Points

I just watched the movie "Medicine Man" with Sean Connery. This is a more modern version of the Lorax with a scientist in the jungles of South America studying a bromeliad for its qualities to cure tumors. He is rushing against time to find how this plant works while the bulldozers are zeroing in on this particular forest. Just as he finds the cure, the forest catches on fire from an accident at the bulldozing site.

Christna Ustiak Christna Ustiak 3225 Points

This thread is very helpful and has great ideas to implement into the classroom. The Lorax is a great book to introduce young students to recycling and protecting the planet. The book can be used for older students to because no matter how old a student may be reading a fun story in class is a great way to learn. Students enjoy learning through stories and the Lorax is a great example of that. I can't wait to use some of these ideas in the classroom.

Jennifer Glass Jennifer Webber 770 Points

I use the Lorax in 6th grade to teach sustainability and environmental footprints. I know the PLT site has been posted, but it has great resources (http://www.forestinfo.org/node/478) as well as the Scholastic sheets attached. Last year was a great year for the Lorax due to the new film (Scholastic even did a writing contest) but I find the tried and true old version, as well as the original book, do the trick the best :)

Elena Snow Elena Snow 595 Points

Hi! Yes! I have used the Lorax for the past two years while talking to my students about their impact on our environment. One of our focuses in science is the relationship between plants and animals in an environment. While talking about the needs of animals (humans), we discussed (using a KWL chart) what humans and animals need from plants. Clothing and food was a big discussion topic with them. :)After this discussion, I used The Lorax to emphasize what would happen to our environment if we used more than what we needed from plants. We learned that we need to be mindful of our environment, which led us to coming up with ways to help our environment so we could still have food and clothes produced from plants and my students all suggested Reduce, Reuse, Recycle :). One extra activity I incorporated with this book, was the song "3 R's" by Jack Johnson. It is a cool was to use music to educate and to enforce what they were discussing in a creative way. I hope this was useful! - Elena

Does anyone have any plans to incorporate any of these The Lorax suggestions into Read Across America? I'm really looking forward to our big Dr. Seuss celebration on March 4, 2013. I'm curious if anyone else has plans to use some of these suggestions in your celebration. Also, does anyone have any additional ideas or resources that would try science concepts into Read Across America?

Thanks!
Maureen

Heather Powell Heather Powell 1980 Points

There are so many great resource links posted about The Lorax and ways to integrate science into the classroom. I work at The Goddard School where we teach very small children (3-5 year olds), but we are still able to use The Lorax for science lessons. We start off Dr. Seuss week with reading The Lorax and talk about recycling and keeping the Earth Health and happy. We put together areas around the room where the kids can recycle through out the day. They come up with different ways to keep the Earth clean and we do our best to test their ideas out. With the first day of Spring later in March, we take time talking about planting trees and flowers. We end the unit either planting something outside as a class or let each student plant their own individual plant. Thanks again for all the great links.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Heather, That sounds like so much fun. Setting up stations for young children to recycle is perfect for their learning. :-) It is also a perfect way to learn how to take care of the Earth as a young child and keep those habits as they grow. You mention talking with the students about the books and recycling. Could you tell us a little more about that? Kathy Kathy

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

I saw this on the news several weeks ago, and it reminded me of the Lorax - they are starting to sell canned air in China! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/china-canned-air-chen-guangbiao-chinese-millionaire_n_2574901.html

This is just incredible, Cris Dewolf.

Laurie Johnson Laurie Johnson 2045 Points

What a great idea Inever thought about using those books as a tie in Thanks for post!

Sandra Naihe Sandra Naihe 605 Points

As Dr. Suess day approached, I was looking around to enhance my lessons to keep my little minds interested in learning. I came across this website from : An Unconventional Librarian Dr. Seuss Activity – The Lorax “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing’s going to get better. It’s not.” I’m teaming up with my friends at Jersey Family Fun for Seuss-A-Palooza, celebrating Dr. Seuss! Every day in March will be devoted to Dr. Seuss, how fun is that?! Thirty one days of parties! If you have preschool aged or older (esp) children you can incorporate Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax into a science lesson about pollution. Read The Lorax. Engage the children, as much as they are able, in a discussion about pollution. Talk about how trees, plants, people, doggies, etc need clean air to breath and be healthy. Tell them: You can’t see air but it is all around us. Practice breathing in and out. That stuff that you can’t see? That’s air! Air activity: give each child a straw and a cotton ball and set on a table or the floor. Have children get down on the level of the cotton ball and have children blow through the straw to move the cotton ball. That, is air! Tell them: If air is dirty then it won’t be good to breathe and could make us sick. What do you think dirty air looks like? Listen to answers. Activity: On a piece of construction paper, allow child to draw or paint what they think dirty air might look like. Discuss. Ask children: How can we keep our air clean and not dirty so we can breathe it and stay healthy? Accept and discuss answers. Answer: Planting trees or plants or flowers are ways to clean the air. Activity: plant a tree outside or plant grass in cups, etc. Watch the plant grow and discuss growth. This project could be extended days or weeks to watch the grass/plant grow! I cannot stress how important it is for the little ones to learn to take care of the planet. It’s the only one we’ve got! I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I plan to use pieces of this lesson in my Jr. Kindergarten Class. I'm always excited when I learn from other teachers, their ideas both with books & arts/crafts.

Heidi Stevens Heidi Stevens 1160 Points

I just finished a unit using [u]The Lorax[/u] by Dr. Seuss and can't tell you how much the kids enjoyed it! Dr. Seuss is just a great author to use on any topic, and since conservation/natural resources is a 2nd grade standard, I knew it would be a perfect way to tie all the subjects together. For reading and writing, I re-read the line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not," and had them think about the author's message and explain in a mini-book what they thought the author's message was and what details from the story told them so. They were then asked, if they were like the Lorax and had to speak for the trees, the fish, the water, and all the animals, what would they do or say to help others understand what their careless actions were doing to their environment. Another reading standard is for students to be able to compare and contrast books with similar themes/messages, ect., so we also read "The Great Kapok Tree" by Lynne Cherry and completed a venn diagram for the two books. For art, we did a slightly altered version of this activity: http://pinterest.com/pin/233131718182853745/, where they were able to draw the Truffula Trees using their pastels and watercolors, keeping in mind color, focus, perspective and layering. They turned out so cute and really brightened up my room when they were hung up. For math, there are so many word problems you can make that hit different standards like fractions, measuring, graphs, and arrays. There are also some math centers you can download from Teachers Pay Teachers (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Browse/Search:the+lorax+math+centers). Obviously, for social studies, you can teach conservation by making comparisons between The Once-ler in the Lorax and wasteful people/companies that are destroying our own natural resources. We also went on a nature walk around the school and asked them to draw all the natural and man-made resources they saw around them. We were able to make comparisons to the book and create our own class big book about natural and man-made resources. This was a hit for the students, because they love being the authors of their own book and seeing all of their names on the cover. This can easily be adapted for science through Earth Science, teaching kids about their Earth and environment and can totally be used to teach Earth Day. I had so much fun with [u]The Lorax[/u] and hope you can use some of these activities in your classroom.

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

Wow! There are already so many great responses to this question!! I absolutely loved the book and movie the Lorax. Personally, I am a big fan of trees and amazed at all they do for our planet. I think that it is a great idea to get children excited about this as well through these stories! I have always believed that the best way to teach children is to get them excited about what they are learning. Thank you to all of you who have posted information on some really great resources. I will have to check them all out. Hearing everyone talk about integrating things like this into the curriculum gets me so excited about being a teacher!! Thank you all once again!!

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

Wow! There are already so many great responses to this question!! I absolutely loved the book and movie the Lorax. Personally, I am a big fan of trees and amazed at all they do for our planet. I think that it is a great idea to get children excited about this as well through these stories! I have always believed that the best way to teach children is to get them excited about what they are learning. Thank you to all of you who have posted information on some really great resources. I will have to check them all out. Hearing everyone talk about integrating things like this into the curriculum gets me so excited about being a teacher!! Thank you all once again!!

Elena Snow Elena Snow 595 Points

Maureen, Yes! I have successfully used the Lorax to introduce the importance of taking care of our environment; recycling, reusing, reducing. My second grade loved it! I used it as a introduction and the discussion afterwards was fantastic. I love incorporating popular media or tools into the curriculum to make it interesting for the students as well as for us teachers. :) If you would like to carry this theme of conservation/ preservation into other subjects, there is a great song by Jack Johnson called the "3 Rs". It is so important to instill the value of taking care of the environment in our young generations. The earlier the better! :)

Attachments

The_3_Rs.pdf (0.05 Mb)

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I loved this article entitled "Garbage as a Tool for Student Engagement" The author writes As a sociologist, I wanted students to understand that their individual decisions were influenced by and also had an impact on larger social structures and the environment. What better way to solve both problems then to have students go dumpster diving weigh garbage as a service-learning project? I also use videos and movies prior to the Dumpster Dive to illustrate the idea of a consumer culture. For the introduction class, I simply focus on the relationship among a consumer culture, social class, and the environment. rea - See more at: http://communityworksinstitute.org/cwjonline/articles/index.html#sthash.azJt1fk5.dpuf"

Kaley Jones Kaley Jones 4090 Points

Wow! This is really neat! I am glad you posted this!

Michelle Diosa Michelle Diosa 435 Points

I have read The Lorax many times in the classroom and it never crossed my mind to incorporate it with science. So thank you, because I think its a wonderful idea. Its a great book to help motivate younger students to take care of our environment and appreciate the nature that surrounds us.

Caitlyn Deenik Caitlyn Deenik 380 Points

I love all of these ideas! I look forward to using some of these resources in my future classroom! I think using engaging literature to integrate science concepts is wonderful because it provides a way for students to get excited about what they are learning!

Crystal Umali Crystal Umali 430 Points

My daughter and I love the Lorax movie. Looking at these science related activities is exciting because I would love to use them once I get my own classroom. It would definitely be a motivating factor to learn about pollution and the environment and then be able to watch the movie and see how it connects.

Hannah Chacon Hannah Chacon 495 Points

Thanks for posting these great ideas. I'm looking forward to incorporating the book/movie into science now.

Angela Vasquez Angela Vasquez 1165 Points

I showed my kids the new movie after covering human impact on the environment and photosythesis. It was very cool to listen to thier comments about the movie and applying what they learned. They argued with the villain about the needs of a plant to grow. It was very cute :)

Christine Bedwell Christine Bedwell 1605 Points

I love this thread and definitely will be using your ideas this year. I always read The Lorax around Earth Day and then we do a few lessons around it. I'm hoping that I can use it for personalized learning for some of my students.

Paulita Garcia Paulita Garcia 860 Points

I love this post! thank you for posting! 

Roslyn Gainey Roslyn Gainey 1045 Points

This is really great I could definitely see this being interesting for the students! I can't wait to use this for one of the science lessons I am planning.

Jane Mendez Jane Mendez 2840 Points

Hi Maureen!   I am currently a senior in college and our professor recently showed us the move The Lorax as a means to teach us about pollution and recycling. Even as a college student I enjoyed watching the movie and making connections between the movie and pollution and recycling. In addition, I have also used the book Green Eggs and Ham as a method to teach math. We cooked in class and the students had to calculate the amount of ingredients necessary to feed the class using fractions. The lesson was super fun, engaging and educational for the students. I was also able to integrate some literacy standards and make it a multi-purpose lesson. I think that all children love Dr. Seuss books so let your imagination get the best of you or when in doubt consult pinterest.   Best of luck!   Jane

Jessica Mulet Jessica Mulet 2870 Points

Hi Jane,  I too think The Lorax was great in order to teach concepts of pollution. It entertained us as college students, imagine how much information students would learn from that lesson. I also enjoyed your ideas of other Dr. Seuss books to teach different subjects. I will definitely consider these when planning upcoming lessons. Thank you for sharing these ideas!

Beatriz Ulloa Beatriz Ulloa 3435 Points

I am currently taking a university science class and our professor happen to used The Lorax to teach us about pollution. While watching the film our professor had us write the relationship of certain characters. By doing this we learned that pollution affects plants and animals, including humans. Even when humans are the ones causing the pollution. It also showed us that once pollution takes over an area it can be hard for the environment to recover from the pollution it went through. Another, Dr. Seuss book that can be used to teach a science lesson is Barthlomew and the Oobleck. I actually did a lesson and used the book to engage the students in the activity they were going to be doing. The activity was a way to teach students about oobleck and how it has properties of both a solid and liquid. ~Beatriz U.

Jessica Mulet Jessica Mulet 2870 Points

Not only is the movie and children's book The Lorax extremely entertaining for all audiences, but it also can be used to teach a few science lessons. By connecting Dr. Seuss's The Lorax to a learning experience, children will be more intrigued and by the concept and enhance the students learning. Currently, as a senior in college, I have been shown clips from The Lorax and relating it to real world science problems. It has taught me about pollution, recycling, and all the effects on living things. 

Isabella Pousada Isabella Pousada 3025 Points

I feel that The Lorax is an amazing book/movie to read or show students.  They can learn so much about recycling, deforestation, pollution, etc.  When students read things that engage them, they are more likely to want to learn.  My science professor for elementary education showed us the book and the video of the book.  I was very intrigued and happy that I was exposed to such a great piece of work.  Thank you!

Liani Pierrot Liani Pierrot 2710 Points

I thinking using Dr. Seuss books to teach science concepts is a great and creative way to teach elementary school students. I am currently taking Elementary science in my university and my professor used Dr. Seuss "The Lorax" to teach us about pollution. We got to watch the movie first and our professor had us write the relationship connections between the characters of the story. By watching the movie and writing the connections between the characters we got to learn how pollution affects plants and animals alike, we also learned how pollution can affect humans even though we are the ones causing the pollution most of the time. The movie also taught us how once pollution affects a certain part of land it is hard to recover that land because everything dies and animals leave the environment. I also learned how the movie connected to recycling, deforestation and pollution. I will definitely use this movie to teach my students one day about pollution and recycling.  -Liani Pierrot 

Adrienne Ceballos Adrienne Ceballos 885 Points

I think I would definitely use the Lorax book to teach about pollution and deforestation. It would keep my students interested in the lesson and they would learn about the environment. I love the book and my teacher showed us a video of the book and I felt so many emotions while watching it so I'm sure my students would feel a connection to the book and the video as well.

Ana Rosell ANA ROSELL 3730 Points

The Lorax is honestly one of my favorite books, and I love incorporating it into my lessons. I have used it to teach lessons on sustainability, as well as incorporating it into my Reading and Writing lessons as well. I feel that there is a lot that can be taught with this book, and every time I use it, my students LOVE it. I have also used Bartholomew and the Oobleck to teach about the states of matter. You can never go wrong with incorporating Dr. Seuss in your lessons!

What a great read! I've never heard of the " Lorax" up until now. When my professor introduced us to the movie, I was interested in how Dr. Sues made an environmental message  into a fun children's book. Nothing was off topic in the book, it address deforestation, pollution, and insufficient resources. I've recently did a lesson on reduce, reuse, recycle in my field studies and if I have the chance I would add the Lorax to expand the students mind on how people can influence the change in the environment. The students would gradually explore the cause and the effects of human influences. 

Jessica Garcia Jessica Garcia 375 Points

I have always loved Dr. Suess books as i feel they provide a strong educational message while keeping students interested. The lorax is a great story to incorporate in your lessons, it provides a fun way to teach about recycling, pollution, deforestation and more! Students will love how entertaining the book and move is while learning about the environment. There are so many good ideas that i will be using in my future classroom.

Andrea Nodarse Andrea Nodarse 280 Points

Hello Jessica! I also love the Dr. Seuss books so much! I also can see how the Lorax has so many benefits to implementing it into the lesson plans of elementary science classes. There are so many great ideas on this forum! 

Lucy Marc Lucy Marc 355 Points

I really enjoyed the story of The Lorax. Even though the story is designed for young children, there are so many eye-opening truths in what is discussed throughout the story. From the pollution of the waters where fishes swam to the smoke filled skies where birds flew, The Lorax is a great read for young readers that are beginning to learn about pollution and its effects on the environment.

Catalina Betancur Catalina Betancur 545 Points

This was an interesting post. I am actually studying to be a teacher and in one of my courses our professor used The Lorax film to explain pollution in an environment. It is a great learning tool for elementary students because it is a cartoon and Dr. Seuss usually appeals to young kids. Our professor had us watch the film and jot down notes on each character and their connection to the movie and the real world. I would definitely consider using this in my future science classroom. 

Hailey Nouis Hailey Nouis 1255 Points

I love reading this book to my class for the appropriate science lessons!

Jennifer Rosales Jennifer Rosales 830 Points

These are some wonderful ideas! I love The Lorax because of its great message and to find out several ways I can integrate it into my future classroom is even better! Thanks ladies!

Amy Harwell Amy Harwell 715 Points

This is an excellent idea! I am a student teacher and love to incorporate literature into science. I had not heard of using The Lorax for an environmental science lesson but it is perfect. Thank you for suggesting and sharing!

Gabrielle Tyree Gabrielle Tyree 1555 Points

These resources are really great! I am so glad that I found this thread!

Kristina Tran Kristina Tran 770 Points

These resources are awesome!

Amanda Guzman Amanda Guzman 1005 Points

I am a student teacher, but I have always looked at the book The Lorax and also thought it would be great way to teach the students about taking care of the Earth. The resources provided are very helpful.

Cody Ollre Cody Ollre 655 Points

This is a great idea! I think that i will try and develop it into a lesson myself!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers