Forums

Forums / Life Science / ALL CLEAR ON GMO's

Life Science

ALL CLEAR ON GMO's

Author Post
Shamara Brown Shamara 5375 Points

I did a lesson on GMO's in my classroom management class (the teaching class) a few semesters ago. I didn't know much about the topic prior to deciding to do a lesson on it. once I discovered what GMO's were, I was intrigued. By the end of my research, I concluded that naturally grown foods, good. Genetically modified foods, bad. Now this! GMO's are not any worse for consumption than those conventionally bred, reported by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I don't think I can totally agree with you about GMO's. Perhaps we need to look at the bigger picture and all of the far reaching implications not just limited to consumption. https://georgiaorganics.org/for-farmers/fundamentals-of-organic-farming-and-gardening-an-instructors-guide-revised-for-2009/

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Pamela, that site seems to be only about organic farming and gardening, not about GMOs.  Am I missing something? Matt

Lisa Clara Lisa Clara 10 Points

Transgenic technology has emerged as a new breakthrough in CRISPR Knock Out.

Molly Miller Molly Miller 60 Points

CRISPR's genome editing technology is definitely a perfect and relevant current events topic for the classroom! I think a discussion about GMOs can be a great way to introduce topics like bioaccumulation and even bioethics. I think it's important to present the bad and the good together. For example, golden rice has done tremendous things in the realm of malnutrition but DDT threatened entire ecosystems.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers