Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Electricity

Physical Science

Electricity

Author Post
Sung Yi Sung Yi 1555 Points

Hi Everyone, I am wondering if anyone had any ideas on activities that I could do with my students on the topic of electricity. I wanna try to connect electricity with my student's own knowledge and experiences. Thank you all for your help. Sung

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Here are some links to NSTA journal articles about electricity that might be of help... http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9780873552363.1 http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/4/sc09_047_04_20

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Sung, You might gather ideas from this Science Object found in the Learning Center. Science Object Electric and Magnetic Forces: Electrostatics and Current Electricity Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School Here is the abstract: Science Objects are two hour on-line interactive inquiry-based content modules that help teachers better understand the science content they teach. This Science Object is the second of three Science Objects in the Electric and Magnetic Forces SciPack. It explores the ability of electrons to flow, producing an electric current. Negative charges, being associated with electrons on the outer edges of atoms, are far more mobile in materials than positive charges located in the nucleus at the center of an atom. In some materials, such as metals, electrons flow easily, whereas in insulating materials such as glass they can hardly flow at all. At very low temperatures, some materials become superconductors and offer no resistance to the flow of current. In between these extremes, semi-conducting materials differ greatly in how well they conduct, depending on their exact composition. Electric currents occur when charges move through conductors. Batteries and other devices store electrical energy by separating and concentrating charges. Electrical circuits provide a means of transferring electrical energy into other forms of energy such as heat, light, and sound.

Sung, You might also enjoy searching for ideas within the LC thousands of resources. If you have never conducted a search, you may use this url: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search.aspx or go to you Home page and click on Advanced Search. Enter the key words for your search and then let the search engine do its job; alternatively, you might put in a few filters before you search. For example, physical science, middle school, etc. Let us know how you find these posts helpful. Thank you for starting this conversation and for continuing to share. Tell us what you did and how your students responded, please. Don't be shy, now. Your voice can lead others. ~patty

Sung Yi Sung Yi 1555 Points

Thank you Betty and Patty. I looked over some of the lab experiments that I could do with my students. A lot of the lab experiments are very easy to follow and I think will help my students a lot. The resources also connects the experiment to the content. Thank you once again. Sung

Hi Sung, When you have a moment (Yes, I know how hard it is to find time to sit down and to share your reflections on what to do in the classroom:} Anyway, we would appreciate you identifying any specific resource or activity that you find useful for your grade level and content goal AND your response will be a great one to mentor a peer teacher who may be looking for the same. it is all about sharing. Thank you so very much. We look forward to hearing your voice. ~patty

Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

Hey Sung, I am a prospective teacher in a teaching program. I recently did an Electricity and Magnetism workshop for the rest of my class. One of my activities consisted of introducing static electricity. For my introduction to static electricity station, I had students use two balloons to describe how a positively charged and negatively charge objects "behave" in the presence of one anther. Then I had students go onto a simulator from Colorado University. It was free and it is a great way for students to visualize electrons being taken from a wool sweater and transferred to a balloon. This activity is also very easy to set up and take down.

Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

Hey Sung, I am a prospective teacher in a teaching program. I recently did an Electricity and Magnetism workshop for the rest of my class. One of my activities consisted of introducing static electricity. For my introduction to static electricity station, I had students use two balloons to describe how a positively charged and negatively charge objects "behave" in the presence of one anther. Then I had students go onto a simulator from Colorado University. It was free and it is a great way for students to visualize electrons being taken from a wool sweater and transferred to a balloon. This activity is also very easy to set up and take down.

Jamilynn Mrozinski Jamilynn Mrozinski 2470 Points

Hello, I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts on electricity. One thing the students really enjoyed that I have seen while observing for my pre- student teaching was the students became human conductors. You can find many things out there, such as a power ball or a conducting stick that will work if a complete circuit is created with people. The students loved seeing that when we were in a circle and holding hands, that the power ball worked, but when one pair of students let go, it did not work. This is a great activity to get the students attention.

Lance Threewitt Lance Threewitt 2375 Points

Hi Sung, I recently conducted a science workshop with some other teachers on electricity and magnetism, and I have some links to share with you that you might find helpful. This site has activities, videos, and links to other sites on this topic. http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/index.html This site has various online simulations for electricity and magnetism. http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/physics/electricity-magnets-and-circuits A couple of activities I used in the workshop were having the students build their own series and parallel circuits. I also had the students build a battery using lemons, just to name a couple. Hope this helps! Lance

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Kennesaw state has one of the best programs in science education. I looked at their site to see what I could find and came up with an entire page of links http://edtech.kennesaw.edu/web/electric.html Enjoy

Veralyn Ulep Veralyn Ulep 1010 Points

Hi Sung, I enjoy watching videos on YouTube and I found this video about creating a penny battery. You could use the ideas in this video with your students. What I liked about this was that you don't need expensive materials at all and it seems simple to make. With this video you can discuss with your students what are conductors and the electric charges in certain materials. Let me know what you think! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIdPfDHeROI

Veralyn Ulep Veralyn Ulep 1010 Points

Hi Sung, I am only a second year elementary teacher and I am also trying to find ways on how to teach my students the science concepts. An activity that I was able to do with my students was simple, inexpensive, and engaging. All you need would be balloons, straws, aluminum cans, and pieces of paper. Students at a certain time of their lives realize that if they rub a balloon on their head, their hair will stick to the balloon. Just having the students actually do this as an activity, has them engage and think more about what is happening. As students charge their balloons, students can see what else would attract to the balloon such as the aluminum can and pieces of paper. You can have students try using a straw to see whether it would attract the aluminum can and paper as well. Students are engaged and explore the whole idea of static electricity. To help my English-Language Learners (ELL), I provide key vocabulary words such as static electricity, repel, and attract along with their definitions. As students do this activity, I encourage them to use the vocabulary words to have such words be part of their language.

Antonio Chaves Antonio Chaves 150 Points

Sung,

Here is an activity that I just developed:

Generating Electricity with a Car Fan

Please excuse the choppy editing. This is my first video ever. More are coming!

Hilda Foster Hilda Foster 1530 Points

Hi Sung, I am new to NSTA as of today. One very simple idea I use is to ask studens to turn on/off the lights is to have them say whether they or opening or closing a circuit. If I plug in my overhead or lamp, I'll ask a student what I've done. Another idea would be to use several flashlights to show parallel and series circuits with the students being the human conductors. It is interesting especially to see how they form a correct parallel circuit because they all want to be able to turn on their flashlights. I appreciate all the other ideas.

Antonio Chaves Antonio Chaves 150 Points

I made 3 more videos all involving electricity and work. This one is the most relevant:

Microscale Dynamo Demonstration

To my knowledge, this is the cheapest electricity generation demo that is out there. Hope you can use it!

For the record, I don't teach physics. I teach environmental science but I like to emphasize energy literacy.

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

Have you tried liquid conductors, students really enjoy that activity?

Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Carmen, I saw your post about liquid conductors. What are they and how do you build them? Stacia Brown

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Jamilynn, I am interested in knowing more about the power ball or conducting stick. I have done a quick Google search and have not found anything that appears to be what you are talking about. Could you provide more information? I am really interested in doing this with my students.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Sandy, You can find an energy stick on the Steve Spangler website at http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/search/product?q=energy+stick I have one from a workshop I attended with Steve and they are great fun. The energy balls are those balls they sell at Halloween that make a ghost sound and light up when you hold them in the palm of your hand to complete the circuit across the two metal pieces on the ball. Have fun!

Carmen, I know from your 'squishy circuits' that you creatively teach about electricity in your classes. Could you share info and activities on liquid conductors for those who may not be aware of them, please. Have you used an activity similar to this one found on the web? it is designed for students in grades 4-6 in NC and comes from U of NC at Chapel Hill http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/3180 Thanks for your activity and your input on these forums. patty

I have not heard of that one. I am so sorry it has taken me awhile to reply, but yes I will share the activity this weekend.

Materials Needed:
Paper clips
Clear plastic
cups
Spoons
Distilled water
Tap water
Lemon juice
Salt
Sugar
Kool-Aid®
Powdered milk
Table covers
Labels
Napkins
Alligator Wires
9 volt battery
buzzer

Directions
Cover any tables used with a table cover.

Label each cup using the labels provided. Fill plastic cups 1/2 full with the following substances:
- distilled water
- tap water
- lemon juice
- distilled water + 1 spoonful of salt
- distilled water + 1 spoonful of sugar
- distilled water + 1 packet of Kool-Aid®
- distilled water + 1 spoonful of powdered milk

Stir the cups containing salt, sugar, Kool-Aid and milk well.

Set up a circuit and clip the alligator clips to the ends of two paper clips.

Learn more about water as a conductor!

Before you start, make a prediction. What do you think will happen when you place the paper clip probes in each of the cups?

Place the paper clip probes in the cup of distilled water but DO NOT touch the paper clips to each other. Wait for at least 10 seconds and listen
carefully. What happens?

Now put the paper clip probes in the other cups as well. Wait for at least 10 seconds and make sure that the paper clips do not touch each other!
- tap water
- lemon juice
- salt solution
- sugar solution
- strawberry Kool-Aid solution
- milk solution
What happens? What does this tell you about water’s ability to conduct electricity?

How did your predictions compare to what actually happened?

Lastly, make an everyday items bag to test for conductors and insulators if you really want to extend your circuit lesson!

Carmen, What a wonderful post. Sharing your materials along with the idea is excellent! Many thanks for those who wish to do this activity for studying about electricity and circuits. It is also so 'cool' that you encourage students to model their ideas and to explain their understanding. I am sure this is a 'colorful' activity that has a visual punch to support observations. Thanks again. Also, waiting for a post is never a problem. ~patty

Hi Amy, 'Tis the season and it is a great idea to get some of those cheap strands of small colored lights and cut them up and use them in circuits. Thanks so much for sharing this idea. It might also be nice to take a day and explore what students think about electric charge by doing a fun day with electrostatic charge and forces prior to getting into circuits. It is a great way to spiral knowledge and to discover what students think about charge. I've put together a small collection of resources on Electrostatics and Benjamin Franklin - as a way to do simple hands-on investigation into static charges and electrostatic forces and also as a way to integrate core topics, especially history, with science. I'll attach the collection to this note. Thanks ALL for continuing to share on this thread. Your contributions energize all of us. ~patty

Electrostatics & Benjamin Franklin Collection (8 items)
Marna Eckels Marna Eckels 300 Points

I have done this Friendship Detector circuit project with my 9th graders and it has been a great way to reinforce the concept of series and parallel circuits! Very high interest, and we did it with cheap materials (LEDs/resistors, tin foil for wire, paper clips and paper fasteners/brads for switches). http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/4/tst12_079_02_46

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

Turn all the lesson plans on their heads and simply give the children insulated wires, bulbs and a battery to see if they can make a complete circuit without any guidance. The first team to get the bulb to light will have the satisfaction and then they can demonstrate to the rest of the class what they did and their reasoning. Once the have the concept of a complete circuit, then you can start adding the vocab and facts to what they just accomplished.

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

To piggy back on the battery, light bulb and wire activity, as students are getting the light bulb to light up, they will begin to feel their finger heat up. This can lead them into inquiry about the movement of electrons. Be careful because this activity could heat up quickly. Another conversation could be, why is the battery considered temporary? Once students have light the bulb and felt the heat in their fingers from the movement of electron, will the bulb keep the same illumination level?

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

There's also the wonderful lesson using oranges and lemons and paper clips - here's a link but I also know that there are tons more out there along with lesson plans. Good luck! http://www.ehow.com/how_8160788_make-electricity-using-orange.html

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

Stacia Brown: I saw your post about liquid conductors. I found a link to Amazing Liquid conductors. www.learnnc/plpages/3/80

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers