Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Teaching Science to Elementary Children

New Teachers

Teaching Science to Elementary Children

Author Post
Elaine Thomas Elaine Thomas 1525 Points

As an incoming teacher with a background in history, how do I teach science to elementary children with limited experience in this subject?

Heather Brinkshroeder Heather Brinkshroeder 1390 Points

Start with what you're comfortable with. Are you trained in discussing trade books with your students? What do you know about the history of science? Are you trained in leading classroom discussions with your age group? From there, push your boundaries. Get professional development that focuses on teaching science in elementary school. Find a science lesson for your age group and try it out. You've got a great start with the NSTA. Explore the resources and discussion boards for an hour once a week.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Elaine--

The 'Future Teacher' topic in this forum has a lot of suggestions for situations such as yours.

You're on the right track to tap into the experience and advice of NSTA members. We've all been there in one form or another. I'd also look at the NSTA journals (access to all of them is free for members) for ideas for activities that are meaningful and enjoyable for both students and teachers.

Mary B.

Elaine Thomas Elaine Thomas 1525 Points

Thanks so much Mary and Heather. I am actually a pre- professional teacher and I looked up some great lesson plans and was glad to find NSTA had some that I could use! Thanks!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers