Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Safety Rules/ Classroom Management

Elementary Science

Science Safety Rules/ Classroom Management

Author Post
Jessica Rodriguez Jessica Rodriguez 520 Points

Hello, my name is Jessica, I am currently working on my bachelors in Elementary education. I want to be a future educator who can tackle students curiosity and build from it. I want to include as many hands-on activities and experiments as possible. One thing I am aware of is that elementary classrooms can sometimes be chaotic. So my question is, How can I ensure that in my classroom the students are following the safety rules? Any classroom management tips?

Thank you. 

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

Hey Jessica! I would make it part of their lab report grade. I would set the expectations out and have it written where you will award/recant points based on if they follow proper lab procedures. Maybe have an explicit set of directions for the lab report and if they follow them exactly, you will know they followed protocol. It is essential they learn to follow directions, especially in a science lab. You will be helping them develop multiple skills if you do it this way. 

Robyn Soronow Robyn Soronow 13865 Points

Hey Jessica. You could engage in direct instruction about science safety. With your students, you could develop the rules about science safety for your classroom. You could write these on big sheets of chart paper and post them in the room, where your students can clearly see them. Before you engage in a science activity, it is a good idea to remind students about science safety, so you could refresh their memories about these rules. Keep an eye on your students as they are engaging in the activity, and make sure they follow the safety rules. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers