Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Fiber Optic Lessons and Experiments

General Science and Teaching

Fiber Optic Lessons and Experiments

Author Post
Daniel Burch Daniel Burch 25 Points

Our Mission: To ignite wihin students a desire for knowledge of science, equipping them for success in the modern era.

EQUIP: verb  a. To furnish with necessities: tools, provisions, or knowledge.  b. To supply with qualities necessary for performance.  c. Prepare. d. Provide. e. Qualify

After many years presenting information on the manufacture and use of optical fibers in communications, the material voted most interesting by students and teachers has been made available as self-paced lesson plans on www.fiber.guru (not .net or .com, its really .guru).  This material is being used with great success for home-school, middle-school, tech schools and even 2-year learning centers.  There is no cost for using the lessons.

The material is kept light and fun, and students really enjoy the lesson experiments.  Chapter tests highlight the key points.  For example, how can a pizza demonstrate the process for manufacturing optical fibers?  How does your hair compare in size to a fiber strand?  How do we slice your voice like a loaf of bread and mix it in with thousands of others?  In fact, since we mix many thousands of voices, text messages, web pages, tweets and movies all in the same fiber, can I see what you are doing, listen in on your conversation or steal your pin?  'Can I hear you now?'  All these questions are answered.

Please have fun with the mateial...it was originally designed to excite science teachers, but has been a big hit with students.  Create a mock-up for how fibers are made, use cheese to make your own 'fiber', see your actual voice, learn how mixing all these communications together is like throwing a million ping pong balls into a raging river, then sorting them all out as they flow down stream and creeks to their destuinations.

I served as a Sr. Engineer in a telephone company and also Director of Research & Development in a fortune 50 silicon valley firm.  My claim to fame has been making difficult topics easy to understand to the novice.

Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.  Now let's get excited about science!

db

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers