Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Public Review of the Next Generation Science Standards

Elementary Science

Public Review of the Next Generation Science Standards

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

I am very excited about the unveiling of the next draft of the Next Generation Science Standards. It will be very important for classroom teachers to read through the standards and give their feedback. Notice the similarities to the current national standards but also appreciate the differences. One big shift for many states will be the implementation of the Science and Engineering Practices which have already been laid out for us in the K-12 Framework of Science Education. This opportunity will be happening soon. This will be the last chance to give feedback before the standards are released in the spring. I am curious what plans schools and districts have for reviewing the standards.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Kathy, I'm excited to see the NGSS, too! Your question about how states/districts will facilitate a review of the next draft is very important. I've been surprised by the number of teachers I've talked to in the past few months who did not know that a new set of science standards are currently being written. I've been trying to spread the word about the NGSS and the upcoming draft review, but I am curious about how states and districts plan to inform their teachers of the opportunity to review the next draft and how they will begin to implement the standards once the final version is released. I have not see any information from my district or the state regarding the NGSS. Are other teachers experiencing the same thing? Maureen

On November 28, 2012 the following NGSS Announcement was made by Stephen Pruitt of Achieve. The release of the second and final public draft of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) is set for the first week in January. In recognition of the hectic schedules in December and the approaching holidays, the NGSS staff wanted to ensure all educators, stakeholders and the public had appropriate access to the draft. We fully encourage all interested parties to review the draft as individuals or in groups and provide feedback to the Lead States and writers. Achieve and the writers want to have the best draft possible to share with you for public review. Please do respond once they are released. All of yourperspectives are important to this process. Kathy

I am very excited as the unveiling of the next draft of the Next Generation Science Standards is coming soon. I hope all who read this will spend time reviewing the draft and giving feedback. Your feeback is so important to this process. This is the last time to have your thoughts heard in regards to these new standards. Read, enjoy and let the writers and other developers know what you are thinking. Kathy

Tomorrow is the day. At 3:00 PM the standards will be available at the Next Generation Science Standards

Please share your thoughts right here in the discussion forums.

Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

You can now download a pdf of the NGSS Draft on the NGSS Website. While on the website, you can also register to evaluate and provide comments on this draft of the standards.

Maureen

The time for reviewing the 2nd and final draft is drawing to a close. There is only a few days to share your thoughts, questions and ideas with the writers of the NGSS. All voices are important to a quality set of Next Generation Science Standards. Please give feedback Kathy

Eric Hartl Eric Hartl 1570 Points

These science standards will greatly effect teachers and the way we teach and look at science. Everyone should be excited for them! I am curious to see and hear everyone's opinions on them! You all seem so excited, can you tell me why?

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Can anyone explain how the Grade Band 2 Endpoints for the Disciplinary Core Ideas in the Framework were divided up in the NGSS (drafts 1 and 2) into grades K, 1, and 2 Performance Expectations? What is the thinking that decided which to put in K, in Grade 1 and in Grade 2? Peggy

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Peggy,
I attended last night's webinar - Using the NGSS Practices in the Elementary Grades. The archive is now available. This may or may not be of use to you, but I have attached a document shared last night. It is a pdf that explains the purpose of the performance expectations and has general information about how to read the NGSS drafts. It seems the Framework (A Framework for K-12 Science Education) is THE mastermind behind the NGSS drafts. I hope this helps a little.
Carolyn

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Thanks Carolyn, I’m working my way through the webinar now. There are good examples of how a Kindergarten class uses the practices described in the Framework. I’m familiar with the Framework and the purpose of the performance expectations in the NGSS. What I don’t see described anywhere is how the committee decided which of the Grade Level 2 Endpoints described in the Framework to put into each of the grades K, 1 and 2 performance expectations in the NGSS. Have you seen the thinking behind the choices described anywhere? Peggy

Peggy, I haven't seen any information about how the performance expectations were divided between the grades. I think the only people who might begin to be able to answer that question would be the writers themselves taking into account feedback they have received from the lead state teams. There are 26 lead state teams giving feedback. I participated in a review team with elementary teachers, and one of the concerns voiced was around the topic of force and motion, most specifically motion. The concern was that that standard was not introduced before grade 2. I can honestly say that 95% of the performance expectations were revised before this draft based on the feedback received previously.. So I don't have any answers but I am sharing all I know Kathy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers