Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Keeping Kinder Active

Early Childhood

Keeping Kinder Active

Author Post
Brenda Villarreal Brenda Villarreal 974 Points

Hello! I am a student teacher in a kinder classroom. I was hoping to get some insight of what i could do to keep the students in check. Whenever I teach anything, the students seem to get hyper and too excited to the point that I have to pause the class and quiet them down. Are there any methods I could use to create a better learning environment for the students? I would appreciate any help I can get. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I've observed some good strategies used by PreK and Kindergarten teachers. When they see the start of the wiggles, they begin complimenting the students who are doing the right thing. They say things like; "I like how nice Brady is sitting, criss-cross applesauce on the carpet. Good job! And look how Ella and Mariah have their listening ears on. Such a good job!" Once they have pointed out about 3 students doing the right thing, the rest settle down. Another thing you can try, if you know they have been having to sit for longer than 20 minutes is have everyone stand up. Just say "stand up!" You can have them do a wiggle dance to get the wiggles out, turn in a circle on their spot, and then turn to a partner and say good job! Give your shoulder partner a high five and now, speaking very softly, sit down, eyes on me, let's get going. Strategies like this have to be repeated and used consistently. If your cooperating teacher doesn't use strategies like these, I'm sure she will appreciate you showing her something new.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Brenda! Your question is a good one! I'm assuming you're referring to students becoming "hyper" during a hands-on activity. Even in high school and middle school, students get excited, and that's a good thing. The challenge is to channel their enthusiasm and keep their focus on the activities. What strategies have you tried? What does your mentor teacher do? You may want to start with shorter activities and explain the appropriate and safe behavior that you expect. You might have to demonstrate these behaviors and practice them with the students. Mary B.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers