Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Teaching Nomenclature

Chemistry

Teaching Nomenclature

Author Post
Ethan Freeman Ethan Freeman 215 Points

Hey everyone!

I am teaching a lesson nomenclature in a bit and was wondering if you had any fun activities or any suggestions about how you like to teach this topic?  I've observed teachers go over this topic before but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any tricks up their sleeve.  Thanks in advance!

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

This PhET simulation worksheet has a naming component.

This RSC game focuses on naming binary compounds. 

The ACS has a name game here

Khan academy page has this practice set with feedback. 

Jessica Robissa Jessica Robissa 130 Points

Great resources, but how do you get retention of the nomenclature rules once you integrate covalent and ionic? My guys do just fine when it is one or the other but still struggle to determine which to use when. What strategies do you use?

Michael Roche Michael Roche 165 Points

In my experience, there's no better way to confuse a high school student than to teach covalent binary naming. I have dropped the di, tri, tetra and replaced it with organic roots meth, eth, prop, etc and functional groups. The reality is these will be more helpful in bio or any future science and it's not setting them up to fail. I recently took a job at community college and not surprising they emphasize organic groups over binary covalent naming. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers