Forums

Forums / Physical Science / New Website for ScienceGuyOrg

Physical Science

New Website for ScienceGuyOrg

Author Post
Bill Kuhl Bill Kuhl 2190 Points

I am converting my website to WordPress format to make it more interactive and going with new ISP because of the cost. A couple of the articles I have re-done, trying to make everything more educational beyond just how to build the projects.

New Mousetrap Car Article

New Water Rocket Article

Bill Kuhl

Audrey Perez Audrey Perez 3720 Points

Thank you so much! This is great. It has been a fantastic help in my classroom.

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

I really liked your Mousetrap Carr activity. I am a 4th grade teacher. This is my first year trying to master the standards. I have gifted students in my class that live a challenge. This activity will be great as a project during our simple machines unit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Bill, I like the new format!! Easier to follow and read.

Thank you Betty. I have had trouble with images that were put in tables displaying correctly since using WordPress in different browsers. The problem might not be WordPress but the only solution I find is not using the tables. So information is more spread out and no doubt easier to read. Bill

Jim DuRall Jim DuRall 810 Points

Bill, Your sites looks great, very informational and I love how you detailed everything for others to build. I do the water rockets with my physics class and have them build their own inclinometers to determine how high their rockets go. I never considered incorporating parachutes into the rockets though. I'm going to look into that for next year, thanks

Bill, Your sites looks great, very informational and I love how you detailed everything for others to build. I do the water rockets with my physics class and have them build their own inclinometers to determine how high their rockets go. I never considered incorporating parachutes into the rockets though. I'm going to look into that for next year, thanks

Thank you on the website, I am going to get more into the physics, beyond the building. Working on a hopefully fairly simple article on aerodynamics right now, this is a sample of that:
Climb of Airplane

Getting reliable parachute operation with the water rockets is harder than it looks, reliable being the key word here. I wish the Aquaport launcher wasn't so expensive. Someday I would like to try to build a launcher.

Bill

I was worried it would be difficult to make the parachute. I still like the idea though, it just adds another level of engineering for the students. Not only does it have to launch, but it has to land safely. I don't know, but I will keep it in mind

They can start with the fall off nose, that seemed to work about half the time. Maybe it can be perfected more. Take a look at this video I created about water rockets, not wonderful narration but the information is good. A school I visited tried to launch an egg and every egg broke.

Water Rocket I

Bill

Rocket Video

Not sure it worked in last message.

I have the same launch pad and pump, they have been working well for many years. Our 10th grade physical science class makes 20oz rockets every year, then our physics class make the 2L rockets. Thanks for sharing the video. I haven't had time to look further into the parachutes, and that helped me visualize it.

Michael McComish Michael McComish 1500 Points

Bill, I love the water rocket article...thanks! Mike

Thanks Michael, I hope to expand on the math and physics aspect of the article. Bill Kuhl

Jeffrey Joy Jeffrey Joy 3220 Points

Thanks for the post!

I am teaching Engineering Through Models this week for a College for Kids class. It is a struggle to get all the projects working properly because the workmanship is so poor and they give up so quickly. But I keep trying.

Tumblewing...

Bill Kuhl

Luke McKinley Luke McKinley 27970 Points

Cool post, will utilize in my class!

Luke McKinley Luke McKinley 27970 Points

Cool post, will utilize in my class!

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

Thanks so much - this is wonderful.

Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Bill, This is very creative. I love how engaging the whole process is. I also love how they can build and modify their rockets to try to make them fly higher. Thanks for sharing. Stacia Brown

I am very pleased that there has been good traffic to my new website and there has been good interest in several of my projects. The blog I started a couple of years ago has also had a good readership. http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/ Bill Kuhl

Sade Samuel sade samuel 1200 Points

Wow! I am so impressed with the capabilities, growths, and connections with other science teachers we have access to through NSTA! Thanks for sharing information.

Raymond Thank you for your comments. I plan to do more with mousetrap cars as Doc Fizzix sent a Torsion Wheel and software that I will do some testing with. Looks like a good way to use formula and data related to energy. I have been also been helping high school student with ideas for and aviation related project. http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/12/airfoils-and-aviation-inspired-student.html Bill Kuhl

Attachments

Torsionwheel.jpg (0.15 Mb)

Joni Ingram Joni Ingram 1705 Points

Thank you for the links and post. This is great information for planning my upcoming physical science lessons for the new year! Joni

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers