Forums

Forums / New Teachers / First Time Teaching

New Teachers

First Time Teaching

Author Post
Yesenia Chavez Yesenia Chavez 180 Points

I have never taught a science lesson before and I am a little nervous about not keeping the students engaged in the topic. Are there any tips that anyone recommends that they have learned through experiences? Also, any do's and don't?

Lindsay Chou Lindsay Chou 3720 Points

Yesenia, What grade do you teach?

Laura Pedraza Laura Pedraza 935 Points

Yesenia, I thought I was the only one who was maybe feeling that way. I am preparing to teach my first science lesson and I am doubting if it will work. I think it is hard to keep 1st graders engaged for long periods of time. I think that what works in engaging little ones is for them to have a hands-on activity. I know the students I work with cannot stay still for too long therefore my lesson will need to incorporate some type of movement for them. I also think that the best way to keep students engaged not just in science but in all content areas is to be confident in what you are teaching and to teach it with enthusiasm. If students see you're excited they will also be excited. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers