Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Parental involvement in Homework

New Teachers

Parental involvement in Homework

Author Post
Esmeralda Lorenzo Esmeralda Lorenzo 540 Points

Hi, i'm planning to become a Bilingual Elementary teacher and I have many questions and doubts. One question of mine would be, what kind of homework can I give to a bilingual student to do at home while at the same time have the parents engage with their child's homework? I have seen many students were their parents don't even bother to know what their child is learning due to not being able to speak/read English, but in other cases parents do take in consideration to see their homework and see how they can help them out. I would like for most of my students to experience that parental involvement in  homework. 

Lizbeth Puente Lizbeth Puente 400 Points

I think that some home-works that can be provided in order to have parents be part of it would be experiments that can be done at home. I am also planning on becoming a bilingual elementary teacher so I plan on sending parents a short list of plans with dates about what is to be expected on their part of teaching their child, whether that be in english or their native language.

Makayla Rainwater Makayla Rainwater 20 Points

Hello!  I am not planning on becoming a Bilingual Elementary teacher, but I do plan on being an Elementary teacher. I think if you give the students an assignment to take home like to ask their relatives questions about things like their history, their occupations, stuff like that then it will require the students to do work but also try to involve parents as well.

I am too planning on becoming a Bilingual Elementary teacher. I have also seen how parents do not engage with their children when working on homework. This could be because of their lack of knowledge in the subject or the language barrier. One way we can help parents engage with their child's homework can be by providing the assignment in their home language as well, that way parents can understand what his/her child is doing in school and offer any help. 

Priscilla Cisneros Priscilla Cisneros 360 Points

Hello, I too plan to be a bilingual elementary teacher. And if really many parents do not take the time to check if their children have homework or if they do it. That is why I also think that if a task that involves both (father / son) should be provided and so the father of the family is aware of what his son is learning in class, and of course send the task in both languages ??Spanish and English so that you can understand exactly.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers