Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / How to Make Science Come Alive

Elementary Science

How to Make Science Come Alive

Author Post
Sara Gagliardi Sara Gagliardi 985 Points

In the elementary school, I work at put science on the back burner. The only time the teachers do anything science-like is during CKLA, and that is only when the unit is science-based. Because science time is so limited I want to make it come alive. Does anyone have some advice or suggestions for me?

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

So, if teachers are not teaching science, are they spending most of their time on math and ELA?  What a lost opportunity for students to get better in those areas, as science provides great motivation for students to improve their literacy and math skills.  See for example:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253535009_Where_Literacy_and_Science_Intersect

Jennifer Shadow Jennifer Shadow 1635 Points

Sara,

I just posted that I want to have a fun, hands on, interactive classroom. I want the kids to love science and be excited to come to class. I want to be able to take them on nature hikes, get them outside and show them all the different aspects that are involved in science. I am hoping for the some advice / encouragement that this is possible ans how others go about having the same type of classroom. ~JS

Terry Little Terry Little 1070 Points

I sign up for as many virtual trips as possible Skype Scientist, FArm Sanctuary, state parks, Science Centers, 

Jacqueline Moreno Jacqueline Moreno 365 Points

I too, have to defend time for science in the classroom constantly.  Students need exposure and experience with various content and concepts to bring context into reading.  If students do not have schema to bring to the reading they are marginalized readers.  When we limit their time or opportunity to explore we limit their prior knowledge to bring to reading texts.  Does anyone have 'anything' research to help in this defense?     

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Besides the reference I posted above, you might want to take a look at this:

https://www.edutopia.org/article/using-science-bring-literature-life

Matt

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers