Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / How to deal with behavior issues?

Early Childhood

How to deal with behavior issues?

Author Post
Garima Saxena Garima Saxena 1045 Points

Hello Everyone!

I recently started full-time with the Early Childhood Special Program. I would love to collect expert suggestions, some helpful hints, and experiences to deal with behavior issues. Sometimes, it is so confusing to choose between using a stern voice or showing affection by hugging and trying to talk the thing out. Any pointers to good resources are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Savannah Molina Savannah Molina 485 Points

As a substitute teacher, I have noticed that the class can instantly be settled down with a few stern words from a person of authority. However, it does not always work. Soemtimes the students misbehave because of some deeper reason. Maybe they are struggling with something at home. I suggest using a stern voice to make the students settle down, but if the behavior persists in a student, then it may be time to talk things out and ask if they are ok.

Meri Rosas Meri Rosas 523 Points

Hey there, 

I would say the best thing is to always talk the issue out. Maybe start with the stern voice and finish showing affection that way they still feel in safe place with the teacher, 

Peggy Ashbrook Peggy Ashbrook 10953 Points

Hi Garima, 

I've found the Conscious Discipline method to be very helpful.

https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/

'Conscious Discipline empowers us to be conscious of brain-body states in ourselves and children. It then provides us with the practical skills we need to manage our thoughts, feeling and actions.

With this ability to self-regulate, we are then able to teach children to do the same. By doing this, we help children who are physically aggressive (survival state) or verbally aggressive (emotional state) become more integrated so they can learn and use problem-solving skills (executive state). When we understand the brain state model, we can clearly see the importance of building our homes, schools and businesses on the core principles of safety, connection and problem-solving.'

Best wishes,

Peggy

Tamika Akins Tamika Akins 1170 Points

I have found that getting to know each child individually and finding out what their perks and triggers are helps a lot. Sometimes it's not the tone of our voice, it make be how we phrase our words. It took me a few years to figure this out.

Jessica Pope Jessica Pope 865 Points

A few years ago I attended the Classroom Organization and Management Practices or  “COMP” training and became COMP certified. Their methodology was if a student was having a very hard time behaviorally and you have the means to, to speak privately with the student asking three simple words: “Are you okay?” So often that opened the door for students to reveal the heart of heir struggle or at least let them know that you care about them not only as a student but as a person. If they shared any thing you could appropriately empathize with them yet explain the negative consequences their actions had on the class. This technique, one implemented, made a huge difference in my classroom management. 

Jessica Palma Jessica Palma 1628 Points

Everyone provided amazing advice, and I highly agree with all. Recently I have encountered this issue at work and getting to know my students more in-depth has helped me help them. There have been moments when just a change of environment for a few seconds has helped my student. 

Tatiana Correia Tatiana Correia 280 Points

Hello everyone!

I am currently student teaching and I personally learned that if you create an individual relationship with each student it makes it easier to create one on one connections with students which helps with any future behavior issues in the classroom.

Maia Bustamante Maia Bustamante 410 Points

Hi As a student teacher, I think that it's really important to understand that all students are different, so you must understand the best way that they respond to you. In my student teaching, there was this one student who was a bit difficult and my teacher instructed me that after a few times of telling him something, she lets him be because she knows that he will not be responsive to being told. So, I think the most important thing is to understand that each child will respond differently. Some need stern instructions, but some need to be told lovingly, so they feel supported.

Maia Bustamante Maia Bustamante 410 Points

Hi As a student teacher, I think that it's really important to understand that all students are different, so you must understand the best way that they respond to you. In my student teaching, there was this one student who was a bit difficult and my teacher instructed me that after a few times of telling him something, she lets him be because she knows that he will not be responsive to being told. So, I think the most important thing is to understand that each child will respond differently. Some need stern instructions, but some need to be told lovingly, so they feel supported.

Jeffery Rolland Jeffery Rolland 110 Points

It's terrible, and I know I shouldn't be thinking about it, but they should simply remove some of the frequently misbehaving students. I have two ring leaders in one of my class periods who are all friends with the other nine boys in that class; when both are present, everyone acts out. When both are absent, everyone suddenly stops and listens. Home phone calls Don't do anything because I discovered that the majority of the children in my school have parents who either don't care about them or don't care about their behaviour. It's ridiculous that some of these kids are given so many chances with no consequences. I also suggest to every father to celebrate National Sons Day every year at schools or at Homes.

Lina Musk Lina Musk 20 Points

I think it's really all individual. Every child needs a different approach

Ashley Gonzalez Ashley Gonzalez 675 Points

Good afternoon Lina, 

I am currently a Elementary Education student and have worked at a school. From my personal experience, I believe that it is important to get to know each student personally. I believe that this is important because each student is different and may have things going on at home that may interfere with their focus in learning. It is important for relationships to be built with our students so that we could be able to guide them through any conflict and help them succeed in school. Hope this helps and goodluck!

Diana Kattas Diana Kattas 520 Points

Hello everyone, 

Last semester I had the oportunity to experience field experience in an elementary clasroom. I observed that making each child a part of the class, calling them by their name, hearing what they share and respecting their opinion id crucial for them to be engaged during a leture. Also, getting to know their background, culture, family is very important because they may be misbehaving to receive attention. Furthermore, is very important to establish communication with their parents to ask how the student behaves ate home

Laura Vasquez Laura Vasquez 500 Points

When it comes to behavioral issues in the classroom, I believe it is best to approach the child with a calm and understanding state of mind. There are times when the child may be going through issues at home that cause behavior issues elsewhere. Being cognizant of my tone and body language can help prevent the child to be further triggered and prevent a bigger outburst. It can be beneficial to also take some time to speak with the child while providing a safe space in order to assess for any concerns so that it can be determined if the child may benefit from being referred to counseling or another discipline.

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

Most of the time teachers don't bite the bullet and discipline their students with a stern voice. This is why behavior problems happen. Kids test you and try to take advantage of you to see how much you can take and how far they can go. When students come in you need to let them know that this behavior won't be tolerated and it is unacceptable. If it is beyond the point of your change have a meeting with their parents. 

Polin Kuer Polin 10 Points

Problem solving skills are the ability to identify problems, brainstorm and analyze options, and implement the best solutions, flexibly and calmly. This is considered a soft skill (more about personal factors) than a hard skill learned through education and training.

Quick Draw

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers