Forums

Forums / New Teachers / 1st year teachers and parents

New Teachers

1st year teachers and parents

Author Post
Hailee Castro Hailee Castro 695 Points

I am a bit worried about how parents will feel knowing that their child is in a class with a first year teacher. Will they be extra critical of me or concerned that their child could be with a more experienced teacher receiving a better education? One of my credential professors mentioned that she believes parents will be excited that I am a new teacher with fresh ideas. What are your opinions and how should I handle it if parents are worried about my lack of experience?

Blanca Jackson Blanca Jackson 3490 Points

Hi I do have the same concerns. I will be graduating in May and sometimes I feel like I need more practice or experience. Next semester I will start student teacher two and hopefully, I will feel more confident by the time I graduate.

Blanca Jackson Blanca Jackson 3490 Points

Hi I do have the same concerns. I will be graduating in May and sometimes I feel like I need more practice or experience. Next semester I will start student teacher two and hopefully, I will feel more confident by the time I graduate.

Nanako Kaieda Nanako Kaieda 1850 Points

I am also having the same thoughts and after reading the replies to your post, it made me feel a little more at ease. Hope your first year is going well!

Manelle El-Negery Manelle El-Negery 1095 Points

I am also wondering this same thing, as I am in my first semester of student teaching. I have a baby face so it will be a dead giveaway I am a newer teacher, even before disclosing that I am. I am scared parents will think I am not competent enough or that I do not have enough experience to teach their children.

BRITTANY CAMPBELL Brittany Campbell 2050 Points

We all have to start somewhere and parents have to understand that. Everyday is a new learning experience for everyone. Reassure the families that you are there for the best interest for their child and that you excited to bring new things into the classroom.

Marci McGlin Marci McGlin 375 Points

I agree, I am starting to apply for positions as well. That is one concern of mine; parents not respecting me enough because I am still young and relatively inexperienced. I do believe you have to be confident and sure in yourself before anyone will respect you and take you seriously. I think letting the parents know from the start that you will do anything to see their child succeed is a great way to start the year. I would possibly try to get another teacher to be a mentor for you.

Shamama Nargis Shamama Nargis 2845 Points

Hello, It really depend on the parent how he/she think but majority of the time they get happy that their child is getting a new teacher who just got degree and she/he full of new ideas. There are some parents who do think that if you are new then you might not be good enough for their child to teach because its your first year of teaching but as time pass by they automatically will notice how good you are and how their child is learning and getting good grades. So wish you all the best.

Christine Smith Christine Smith 190 Points

It has been very reassuring to read through this thread! I am a non-traditional student and very nervous about my first year of teaching and how I will be viewed by students, parents, and coworkers. It appears that this is a very common concern of prospective teachers and that there will be plenty of support available.

Dannielle Leger Dannielle Leger 970 Points

I would agree that I think most parents would be excited to know that their child is going to be educated by someone with the newest, freshest ideas. Being a new teacher, you have just received the best, newest methods and should have access to the latest, most effective tools. That's not to say that every parent will feel this way; there will always be those parents out there. I would suggest that if you are noticing that you have a parent that is not as thrilled for their child to have a new teacher you should then go a step further with them. Take the time to schedule more meetings or make some more positive phone calls with them or involve them in what their student is doing each week. It would be helpful for you if perhaps you put together a weekly newsletter for the class and then all you need to do is send out a link. 

Melissa S. Melissa Strohl 315 Points

I can relate to your concerns - I'll be student teaching next semester and graduating in the spring.  I had a host teacher from one of my practicums tell me to never, especially as a first year teacher, be afraid to ask for help.  She said that other teachers, especially those who are at your grade level, will typically be very willing to help you with ideas and ways of bettering yourself as a teacher.  A mentor teacher would help in making it nice to know that someone is there to support you, especially during the first year.

Rebecca Mendoza Rebecca Mendoza 2190 Points

I am a bit worried about how parents will feel knowing that their child is in a class with a first year teacher. Will they be extra critical of me or concerned that their child could be with a more experienced teacher receiving a better education? One of my credential professors mentioned that she believes parents will be excited that I am a new teacher with fresh ideas. What are your opinions and how should I handle it if parents are worried about my lack of experience? I am on the same boat as you. I am worried that parents will think I am to inexperienced and will not trust me with their child. But also know, we are the teachers that are going to change the system. The teachers that are ahead of us yes have lots of experiences but are also outdated in their style of teaching. Our generation is bringing something new to the table and catching up with the rest of the world. We are bringing back to this profession the respect is has always deserved. 

Jamie Edgington Jamie Edgington 275 Points

I have the same concerns as I am graduating in May and often wonder what parents will think. I think you have to be confident in yourself and your abilities first. This will help how others view you and your teaching abilities! Good luck with everything! 

Amber Daker Amber Daker 265 Points

I have the same concerns. I am student teaching in January and will graduate in May. I am definitely nervous about how parents will view me as a first year teacher but I think that all depends on individual parents. I think the first year will be a challenge, but as long as you are confident in your abilities and able to ask for help when you need it you will do just fine. Good luck!

Lauren Gray Lauren Gray 590 Points

I have this same concern! I think one of the most important things to always remember is that you ARE a qualitfied teacher, no matter what the parents say! You must be confident in yourself and your practice in order for teachers to take you seriously.

Arrie Winston Arrie Winston 1020 Points

I think parents want new teachers with new ideas teaching their child. As you know there will be some parents, co-workers with their doubt but your actions are what count the most. As a parent and teacher, I believe the main concern of a parent that will determine their opinion about you is can you control your class (good class management is the key).

Christopher Rodriguez Christopher Rodriguez 2320 Points

Hi, I think the best course of action is just try to remain confident. Take pride in the education you earned. People respond to this and will also appreciate knowing their children are in good hands.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I agree with your professor that parents will be excited for their children to have a new teacher who is enthused with new teaching ideas and also tried and true ones learned at the university. I have taught for over thirty years and this is the reaction that I have most often seen.

Brittney Brookhart Brittney Brookhart 850 Points

I have also had this fear, but I think that once parents get to know you they will feel more comfortable. I think they will feel good knowing that you are fresh out college and you are full of ideas and advice from your professors which may have also been past early childhood teachers. Additionally, with being young you are at an advantage because you relate to the students better.

Natalie Cordero NATALIE CORDERO 1415 Points

HI! As a teacher I know you will go above and beyond for your students. I think If you let the parents know every two weeks exactly what awesome things you are doing in your class they will feel secure and happy to have a teacher that keeps them up to date. As a parent myself, I have no idea what what my daughter does in school. I ask her and she is clueless half the time. A personal letter from the teacher would be delight to read along with her homework. ANy fun activities can be noted to show that the students arn't just doing book work upon book work. Let these parents know that you care about their child. Some thing I plan to do the first week in my classroom is send home a paper that asks questions about the family. Important things that might help me throughout the year... ex. what is their religion, who the child lives with, any allergies, phone numbers, emails, special situations that I should be aware of. As a parent they will feel good knowing that the teacher is inquiring about their child on a more personal level. GOOD LUCK! :)

Manelle El-Negery Manelle El-Negery 1095 Points

Thank you for this! I am in student teaching and i have the same concerns for when i am a new teacher. I would have never thought to contact every 2 weeks, but you make a lot of sense. Even a simple newsletter for the classroom can keep communication open.

Shelby Rearick Shelby Rearick 470 Points

This post was very helpful, thank you! I will be student teaching next semester and have not had much experience with parents. I am worried that they will worry that their child may not be excelling as well as they could be with an experienced teacher. I like your idea of sending a letter home to the parents detailing what the students are doing in your classroom. I also think having a classroom website available for parents would be great as well. For example, you could post the homework for that night, reading strategies parents may try at home, as well as your weekly newsletter. I want parents involved in my classroom; however, I don't have much experience with parents. I want them to feel free to call me when they have questions about their child in my classroom. A newsletter is a great way to communicate with parents.

Dana Dunnan Dana Dunnan 280 Points

Hi Hailee- Parents are like kids in that they will reflect your confidence in yourself. If they see you as prepared and self-assured, they will also see your youth and energy as an asset. I did an eight minute interview last Friday with Neal Charnoff on Vermont Public Radio about new teachers, unions, testing, and the Common Core: http://digital.vpr.net/post/retired-educator-offers-advice-new-teachers Go forth and change the world. Dana Dunnan www.chalkdustmemories.com

Attachments

Notes_cover.jpg (0.07 Mb)

Jennifer Marmion Jennifer Marmion 1920 Points

I am still in college, going for elementary ed and have had the same concerns. One thing that I've heard is that parents (for the most part) are very happy to have their children with a new teacher because the teacher is a lot more willing to bend and change if things aren't working out. Teachers who have been teaching for awhile tend to be more into a routine and stick to that routine. New teachers are also often very excited about teaching which creates excitement in the students.

Danielle Breslin Danielle Breslin 1695 Points

Hello! I think everyone has the first year jitters, but stay confident and do all you can for those children and you will be wonderful! Good Luck!

Nicole Ross Nicole Ross 365 Points

As a first year teacher, I worried about that too, specifically when parent-teacher conferences came around. I think that as long as you show confidence, organization, and a desire to make sure your students learn, parents will feel confident about you as a teacher. In fact, I learned that in many cases, parents are excited to see a new teacher because they have new ideas, new energy, and enthusiasm which are evident in the "newbies." Also, if students are showing improvement in their grades, the fact that you are a first year teacher won't even matter. Parents will just be happy that someone is getting through to their child. I was nervous about parent-teacher conferences, so what I did to gain confidence was to keep a file of all the students' formal assessments, i.e. tests, quizzes, projects, and even some informal assessments. And also keep a log of students behavior (or more specifically, misbehavior). That way, when it is time to discuss the students' progress or problems with the parents, you have tangible evidence of how their child is doing academically and behaviorally. And you can also tell the parents what their child needs to work on and how they can help. If you communicate with the parents your drive to make sure their child is successful in your classroom, your limited experience won't matter. Good luck!

YUSLEY GARCIA YUSLEY GARCIA 2165 Points

Hi, I am complete understanding your concern about this point. Parents will always afraid about the teacher experience, so I understand that establish good communication and demonstrate parents how much you do in class with the students will help you to change their minds into a positive way. Giving proves how much you care about the learning acquisition of their children, parents will begin trust your work after a while. I believe that doing great and enjoyable activity with the students in the classroom, students can begin to make a comment about how much they learned every day.

Joanne Harkness joanne harkness 435 Points

As a parent and a new teacher, I would welcome a new teacher for my child. The brand new teachers have been working with the newest standards, and they are eager to teach. Teachers with experience can help guide us along with our new ideas. I look forward to the students first and meeting their families.

Melissa Hersted Melissa Hersted 950 Points

I think that while some parents may be apprehensive because you don't have the experience, some will also be excited because you are in the know with the latest education trends. If you open the doors for communication with the parents by sending home a newsletter telling what's happening in the classroom, making phone calls for good news as well as when there is an issue, and asking parents to come in to the classroom to help out or share with the students something they are an expert in it will make the parents more at ease with you. The good part about a new teacher is that you are very excited to begin and go the extra mile. Just be confident with yourself and you will be great! Good luck!

Christina Torango Christina Torango 12445 Points

I am in my student teaching phase right now and I have had great positive feedback from parents. I've had many parents actually try to give me advice and tips, which is so sweet. I am also a parent, so I could see where the concern for academic achievement some might have with a new teacher. I can say for me, I enjoy when parents "check in" on me and I am happy to hear their advice...doesn't mean I have to take it, but I think it makes them feel better that I am willing to listen and possibly implement an idea or two of theirs.

Grace Flamenco Grace Flamenco 3115 Points

I think the fact that you are on NSTA and trying to educate yourself to become the best teacher shows that you are going to be a great teacher and those parents would be lucky to have their children in your classroom!

Jana Reyes Jana Reyes 2520 Points

I am still in colllege, but I am happy to say this is my final semester!!! I am currently doing my studnet teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. I am enjoying and loving the studnets. One thing that I am nervous about after gradutaion is finding a job & having my own classroom. Not sure the grade level I would want to teach yet, but I am leaning towards K-2 if possible. Seond thing that I am nervours about is meeting the parents. I know they are sending their children to school to receive the best education, so I am going to make sure give me all to every students that steps foot in my future classroom.

Jana Reyes Jana Reyes 2520 Points

I am still in colllege, but I am happy to say this is my final semester!!! I am currently doing my studnet teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. I am enjoying and loving the studnets. One thing that I am nervous about after gradutaion is finding a job & having my own classroom. Not sure the grade level I would want to teach yet, but I am leaning towards K-2 if possible. Seond thing that I am nervours about is meeting the parents. I know they are sending their children to school to receive the best education, so I am going to make sure give me all to every students that steps foot in my future classroom.

Gabriela Gutierrez Gabriela Gutierrez 1115 Points

I often have these same concerns in mind as a student teacher who will be graduating soon. Thankfully, parents have been very welcoming and supportive. Many have nothing but will wishes and excitement that their child gets to learn from someone with lots of new ideas. I hope I will be able to say the same during my first year with my own classroom. Best of luck to you and everyone as a first year teacher!

Traci Silverthorn Traci Silverthorn 2610 Points

I also have this worry. I am in my last semester of college, and plan to be in a classroom at the beginning of the new year. I am lucky to be working with a wonderful teacher this semester, and she has given a lot of useful information and tools that I can use when I become a teacher myself. I know I'll have the first year jitters, but will have a mentor to fall back on and hopefully have a good support system from my school personnel to back me up. Good luck everyone.

Brenda Barcenas Brenda Barcenas 2145 Points

Knowing that you chose to become a teacher is the best form of evidence any parent can have to see that you are more than just a first year teacher. It shows parents that you chose this career with clear intentions. I am a student teacher and my students love to present me to their parents whenever they have an opportunity to do so. As a student learning to become a teacher, parents see the effort I put into educating and connecting with my students because they hear wonderful stories from their children. Parents send their children to school, knowing that their children are being educated by a teacher that the school thinks highly of (they hired you for a reason!). Also, as a new teacher, you have many new ideas that can be used in a productive manner. I know that you will have a wonderfully time as a first year teacher! Good luck!

Teresa Mendoza Teresa Mendoza 1530 Points

I have the same fear as you. I always thought that parents would not like that they have a first year teacher for their kids. However, I think someone brought up a good point by sharing with the parents that we are bringing new fresh ideas for the students. Another thing that we can share with the parents who are concerned is explain to them that new teachers always have mentoring teachers and a great support from the school. So in the end the students will do just fine in a first year teacher's classroom.

Alyssa Labadie Alyssa Labadie 855 Points

This post really helped me and has lots of great points I had not considered! As a student in college, many parents in the classes I have worked in have been nothing but friendly and congratulated me on my career choice. However, they know I am just an intern and the experienced teacher is leading the class. I worry about how the parents will react to me when I am a teacher with my own classroom. I now see how parents can be excited about having a new teacher with fresh ideas and "the latest trends in education" teaching their child! As long as I we are putting forth effort to helping a child succeed, I think parents will be content and appreciate us as teachers.

Lisa Jackson Lisa Jackson 1615 Points

Next year I will be a special education teacher and I have very little experience in working in a special education environment. Spring semester I will have a field placement in a sped. classroom, and I hope to learn as much as I possibly can about teaching sped. So far I have been some what of a paraprofessional in the field placement that I am in now, and the students I teach have ADHD. I really want to be a great teacher I hope my first year is more of a learning experience and not a bad experience.

Lisa Jackson Lisa Jackson 1615 Points

Next year I will be a special education teacher and I have very little experience in working in a special education environment. Spring semester I will have a field placement in a sped. classroom, and I hope to learn as much as I possibly can about teaching sped. So far I have been some what of a paraprofessional in the field placement that I am in now, and the students I teach have ADHD. I really want to be a great teacher I hope my first year is more of a learning experience and not a bad experience.

Amanda Harleston Amanda Harleston 2800 Points

I have the same fear as you do, next year I will be a first year teacher and I'm scared, nervous, anxious, and excited all at the same time. You can not help it of you do receive a parent who wants their child moved to another classroom because they are afraid of your ability to teach. What you can do is show your students you do have in your classroom is what an excellent and effective teacher you are. Sometimes we can't win all of our battles. I believe if you have confidence and faith you will do just fine your first go around. Good luck to you.

Destiny Huggins Destiny Huggins 10040 Points

I am in my student teaching right now and will graduate in May. I am nervous about how parents will feel also, but I think it will depend on the school you go into. At the school I am at right now, the parents are very supportive of the teachers and have full confidence in the teachers that are hired in the school. I would assume that if I got hired there parents would feel comfortable with me being a first year, because of how they feel about the teachers as a whole. As a parent of a child who had a first year teacher, I will admit that I was a little nervous, especially since it was a testing grade, but she bent over backwards to ensure that the students were getting what they needed. I say just go in there a rock it and do your best. Reach out to parents and they will put their confidence in you. Good luck!!!

Sharonda Hagan Sharonda Hagan 530 Points

Hi, I'm in my junior year of college majoring in Elementary education and I have the same fear. I wonder how the parents will react to me. Will they ask to have their children moved? Will they constantly be down my back, and criticizing what I do in the classroom? Will they even respect my professionally? I have heard some of my professor say that administration loves new teachers, but I haven't heard anything about how the parents feel about new teachers. I hope to make the parents feel comfortable leaving their children with me and give them an assuring feeling that their child is in good hands. I plan to have an online portal for patents to see what their students are doing in class on a weekly basis, I will make this blog private and give only the students’ parents access. I got this idea in one of my first education courses and thought it would be very useful, parents could see pictures of some of their children’s work and be informed on what their children are learning that week.

Mai-Vy Williams Mai-Vy Williams 1285 Points

Hi there, I have the same concerns since I this is my last year until graduation and then it's the big step into the classroom! I agree with your professors about the excitement of new teachers, because the principal at the school I currently student teach at likes new teachers due to their thinking and fresh ideas. There are a few first year teachers that I have gotten to know throughout this semester at the elementary school and they get a lot of support from their team leaders and grade level colleagues. Good luck!

Alexandria Charles Alexandria Charles 1520 Points

I'll be graduating in May, and this is one of my concerns. I'm hoping parents will see my excitement and confidence and will be more at ease about my inexperience. I know it's going to be tough, but this is what I have a passion for, I want to show parents we are part of a team and we can do this together.

Sandra Gonzalez Sandra Gonzalez 960 Points

I'm excited for my first year as a teacher, but that does come to mind when I think about some parents being uncomfortable about that, but then I also feel like they may be anxious and excited to see all the new ideas a new teacher may have.

Tiffany Smith Tiffany Smith 1350 Points

This has been a worry of mine as well. I believe you should simply inform all the parents of the student teaching and previous work you have done with children and to let them know your expectations for the year. Also keep yourself open to anything they may have a concern with. Let them know you want their children to succeed as much as they do.

Maria Nolasco Maria Nolasco 1850 Points

I too share the same fear and concerns because at my current job, I already experience parents who believe everything goes their way and their child is perfect. I am worried in how I can best handle these attitudes I will experience, especially during my first year because I am sure some parents will think I do not yet know what I am doing since I dont have much "experience" in their eyes.

Mendi Butera Mendi Butera 405 Points

As an incoming teacher, I share a similar concern. I was worried about how parents would perceive me just as a student teacher in their child's classroom. I think the best thing you can do is have faith in your competence as a teacher. You would not have been hired if you were not a capable candidate. I think parents will have questions and be interested in what you are doing for their kid's education, but I think that you can illustrate confidence and build a relationship with the parents. Rapport is not just established with students, but with parents as well.

Dahlia Quiroga Dahlia Quiroga 1535 Points

Parents are usually excited to know that their child is the first to be taught by you. what I have found to reassure the parents that although this may be your first year as a teacher it is not your first year teaching children. For example I always told my parents that this is my first year being a teacher, yet I students taught for an entire year before and I have tutored for 6 years. In addition I state that teaching is my passion so it comes natural to me.

Michaela Aiello Michaela Aiello 330 Points

I also have the same concerns. I am finishing up the credential program next month, and I'm starting to apply for jobs. I am worried that parents will not want me to be their child's teacher because I am so young and it will be my first year teaching. But we all have to start somewhere, so hopefully parents will understand that.

Michelle Finzen Michelle Finzen 4720 Points

This is a great way for the new teachers and parents to have a better idea on what the students should be learning.

Stephanie Jerez Stephanie Jerez 1165 Points

I also have the same worries, but I always think that parents appreciate new teachers! We are (I'm a student teacher) taught to differentiate and teach for all types of learners. In saying that, I think we can achieve success, and will achieve success!

Caitlyn Deenik Caitlyn Deenik 380 Points

I am in the same boat! I finish my credential next month and am preparing to start my own classroom in August. I, too, am nervous about parents thinking I am not as qualified or experienced as other teachers. The way I look at it, is we are new to our careers and are so incredibly excited that we will be putting in so much effort to be the best teachers we can be. That's all we can do! We have worked for this and we can do it! We are no less prepared or qualified than a teacher who has taught for 20 years. With time, we will learn more and more and gain tools and strategies for our classroom just like experienced teachers. Until then, we do our best!

Rachael Drab Rachael Drab 280 Points

Hi when I do graduate I am most certainly going to have the same concern however, I know most parents love having new teachers for their children. As new teachers we are most likely younger, and can bring fresh new ideas to the table. Of course there is always going to be the few parents who do not like the idea, but its not their choice as long as you try your best everyday that's all that matters.

Amanda Morris Amanda Morris 945 Points

I agree, I think that for the most part, parents will be excited that you will be bringing in new ideas and new ways of teaching! There are always a few who prefer the more experienced teachers and such, however, as long as there is a mutual respect between the teachers and parents, everything should be alright!

Brittany Brown Brittany Brown 1865 Points

So glad I read through this! I am having similar feelings and this really helped my nerves a lot!

Jennifer Ilant jennifer ilant 430 Points

I have the same fear. I will be graduating this spring of 2016. I know somebody that has a child that has a first year teacher this year. She told me that she was very excited about this because she knows that the teacher will be filled with excitement instead of feeling burned out. Her mindset really helped me ease my fears!

Melissa Oakes Melissa Oakes 455 Points

I share similar concerns. I hope that overall, parents would be excited for their child to be in a classroom with a new teacher. If you have parents with doubts, you may be able to reassure them by discussing some of your previous experiences in classrooms during your program. I bet your fellow grade level teachers will have great advice for you too, considering they were once first year teachers as well. :)

I also graduate in May and I sometimes feel unprepared for parents. I students teach in a high ability classroom in January and I am very concerned about these parents. I know that they will be very proactive and I worry that they will be upset that their students are getting a student teacher for half of the year instead of just the general ed teacher. I have been reading on this site and a few others for some ideas for parents and how they can get to know me. One of the things I plan to do is write a letter to all the parents before the students leave for Christmas break. This way, the parents can remember that I'm coming, and also prep their students for the change after Christmas.

Caylee Stahl Caylee Stahl 475 Points

I will be graduating in May also and hopefully finding a job in August. I have always been concerned about how the parents will treat me as a new teacher and how they will feel about their students being in my class. During student teaching, I plan on being very involved with the parents and getting to know them. I am also planning to ask my host teacher A LOT of questions about communicating with parents and asking him some tips on how to keep the parents involved and handle them if there are issues.

Amanda Zaragoza Amanda Zaragoza 895 Points

I will be a new teacher soon and although I am nervous about being a first year teacher as a parent I personally do not mind first year teachers because they are usually more enthusiastic about teaching and really enjoy the students. There is nothing more important to a parent than knowing the teacher loves our children. So do not worry to much! 

Elizabeth Henshaw Elizabeth Henshaw 2065 Points

Good Morning-  I am currently a student and will be student teaching next Spring. I wonder about these things too. My son's kinder teacher was a first year teacher and I admit I was a little nervous about that but she was very open to talking to the parents and keep communication lines open. As your professor said, I would hope parents would look at you as having fresh new ideas on things. Strictly from my parental perspective, just be open to your future parents and show them all the exciting things the students will be learning. One thing that I appreciated, if the school allows, was that my son's kinder teacher called all the parents about a week before school started to introduce herself personally. Good luck, it is an exciting time! -Elizabeth

Adiba Ratani Adiba Ratani 835 Points

I will be a first year teacher very soon and I am definitely having the same concerns as you! I feel that parents and other teachers won't take me seriously, or even try to manipulate me. I don't mean to say that so negatively, but parents will know how to maybe take advantage of the fact? In student teaching, I see parents already who have some struggle seeing eye to eye from a teacher's point of view, so this worries me a bit since it occurs to experienced teachers as well. So regardless, I feel this is just a part of the package when you're a teacher! 

Violet Cuadra violet cuadra 795 Points

I can completely relate to your concerns. It's interesting because I recently shared the same concerns with my cooperating teacher. My biggest fear is that parents will take advantage of me or not take me seriously. The advice that she gave me was to be confident, stand your ground, and always be prepared. She also advised me that parents are usually accepting of new teachers and most of those fears are just in our heads. Either way I know my first year of teaching will definitely be nerve-wracking. 

Demi Andrews Demi Andrews 685 Points

I am graduating in December and am worried about this, as well. I think parents have to understand that your first year has to start at some point though. I think it's just important to be open to hearing new ideas from parents (even if you don't utilize them) and never use being a first year teacher as a crutch or excuse. Good luck in your first year! 

Julia Torres Julia Torres 975 Points

All of these concerns are incredibly similar to ones that I have. I will be preparing for my December graduation and fear that coming in the middle of the year AND being a first year teacher may give parents more reason to be critical/unwilling to work with me. However, I think if you establish a good relationship from the get go, you should have them on board and you will have smooth sailing for the year! 

I have the same concern. I am worried that parents will not trust that I know what I am teaching. As stated above, we all have to start somewhere and at some point. 

Wendy Nativi Wendy Nativi 775 Points

Ashley Gil Ashley Gil 3415 Points

I believe that parents will be super excited to have someone fresh and new to their team. It is important to be confident and not second guess yourself because that is where I believe parents will then begin to feel uncomfortable. I am excited to start my teaching journey because I feel like new teachers have so many new and cool ideas to bring to the table. Here is a link to a blog that talks about the fears we as new teachers feel and what we can do to help us feel a little bit better! Good luck! https://englishwithjennifer.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/overcoming-the-first-fears-tips-for-new-teachers/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers