Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Teaching Science Creatively

Next Generation Science Standards

Teaching Science Creatively

Author Post
Shannon Lydon Shannon Lydon 230 Points

I am wondering with the new school standards of 90 minutes in literacy and 90 minutes in math what are some creative ways to work in science throughout the day? What are the struggles of getting that science instruction in a short amount of time?

Trisha Knott Trisha Knott 2645 Points

Hello, 

I am currently studying Early Childhood Education at the University of Northern Iowa. This semester, I am takinga an elementary school science methods course. This is something we have talked about a lot in this course. How do we keep subjects like science and social studies from taking a back burner and not being taught, or only being taught very occassionaly. One way that I think this can be done is trying to fit science standards into Literacy lessons and math lessons. This can be done by using books that talk about science in your literacy lessons. I am attaching a link to a website that taks about how to effectively do this. 

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar11/vol68/num06/Teaching-Science-Literacy.aspx

Deborah Bronner Deborah Bronner 650 Points

I agree with the other replies -- sneak in some science in small bits during the day. Such as weather, the phases of the moon, anything about animals is always interesting and the latest in space travel for example.

Samantha Evans Samantha Evans 280 Points

Hi Shannon! Some school districts have stopped teaching science and putting an emphasize on learning science curriculum. Some people don't think it is important but I completely disagree. Students love science and learning about how the world works. I think it is important to work in some science every day to your curriculum even if it is a tidbit of information. There are a lot of ways to incorporate science and I would start doing this by relating your literacy content to science in any way you can. This might mean instead of having your students write about social studies content when doing literacy, you could have them write research and write about their favorite animal. You could even incorporate social studies into science and have them research a different part of the world and have them write about the kind of animals there or different climate. I would start with small activities such as this and then work your way into incorporating it more throughout your lessons.

Angel Peterson Angel Peterson 2370 Points

Interdisciplinary curriculum is the best way to hit the minimum requirements and integrate other subjects that are given less time. Math and science are fairly easily taught together as science is applied math. However, there are ways to also include literacy into the science curriculum. Such as: science poems, science video writing activities, and organizing science information. There are a lot of resources online that allows teachers to explore interdisciplinary concepts and lesson plans. Not only with math and literacy but also the arts, p.e., and social studies. There is a lot of value in teaching subjects that cross over because in the real world rarely are things isolated in the way many classrooms teach subjects. Additionally, as you mentioned, time constraints are a huge barrier teachers are facing when trying to include all the subjects. Here is a resource that has some lesson plan ideas: http://www.teachhub.com/integrate-science-across-curriculum

Robert Chesbro Robert Chesbro 150 Points

Here is an excellent resource:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Next-Generation-Science-Guy

Niki Shekaran Niki Shekaran 55 Points

http://www.teachhub.com/integrate-science-across-curriculum 

Here is a source that I have been asked to read for a course in college. It should help you out! There are many interesting suggestions on how to integrate science into the English curriculum. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers