Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Being effective after remote learning is no longer necessary.

New Teachers

Being effective after remote learning is no longer necessary.

Author Post
Sandra Delgado Sandra Delgado 730 Points

Hello!  My name is Sandy Delgado.  I am currently a senior in college, getting ready to graduate in the spring.  Before I know it, I will have a classroom full of students of my own next school year.  This pandemic has forced teachers, students, and parents alike to make unprecedented changes and lifestyle adjustments.  It has created a new way of learning; remote learning (exclusively).  I worry about the timeframe and the effects of all of these changes.  How can I make sure that I am being an effective teacher when so many adjustments have had to be made?  Although CCSS are followed, how much learning can we expect is actually taking place?  How will this affect the way that the standards, as well as the curriculum, will look like next year?  I worry that the necessary changes won't be made and that students will fall behind further if we expect them to perform as if they were learning in person. 

Petra Van't Slot Petra Van't Slot 570 Points

Hi Sandy,

my name is Petra van't Slot and I have been teaching HS and undergrad college Chemistry for about 15 years. You will begin to teach in a time that's so different from anything we've experienced before in our lifetime. Kudos to you for teaching anyway. You will learn and grow and your students will grow right along with you. 

One thing that is helping me a lot as we continue to adapt is to focus on core content that needs to be mastered. Be very clear and concise in writing it down so you have a clear picture of what your students need to know and understand. Then create or find an assessment that functions effectively in a remote environment. Create it so it clearly assesses students' mastery of that topic in a way that requires original and authentic responses so that cheating or unauthorized collaboration isn't even an option. Embrace the fact that students have the entire internet at their fingertips and that they will be chatting with their friends and work in the context of that. After all - a lot of 'thinking like a scientist' is the ability of effectively evaluating information. The NSTA has actually really good resources for this. 

I'm happy to share more with you, but some direct messaging might be more effective. 

Hello Sandy, I'm still a student as well and I share your concern. I began my college experience a few semesters before the pandemic hit which has affected my ability to do clinical hours. I worry that many other future teachers in my predicament will have some fear when it comes to being effective teachers face to face with students. But I also believe that since we have experienced remote learning we will go above and beyond to make sure students are engaged and are not falling behind. There will be struggles but I know this upcoming generation of teachers won't let that hinder them.

Melissa Portillo Melissa Portillo 1245 Points

Hi Sandy, 

I too am a senior in college. I think that we all are uncertain about how we can be effective teachers with all the changes going on. I found a video to answer your question regarding being an effective online teacher. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jSzEGKMpdI) It is difficult to come up with a definite answer because things are not certain with the pandemic going on. Through the use of online learning many teachers are preparing a condenced version of their lessons since they do not have the full 8 hours a day with their elementary students. I hope this helps! I also found a video that talks about teacher tips for online learning. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPb5QfZERk) 

Jessica Jones Jessica Jones 465 Points

I am currently a teacher at a school that gave parents the option to send their child to school, or let them learn from home. I worry a lot about my students at home, because I cannot be sure that the students at home are actually completing assignments themselves. Teachers are required to post assignments in Google Classroom in reading and math and they are due each Sunday. I know that the students at home are falling behind because they are not getting the 'teaching' that the students at school are receiving. I can only hope that one day that things will return to 'normal' and all students are allowed to come back to class to learn.  

Daniel Fulkerson Daniel Fulkerson 1110 Points

Do what you can to stay consistent and confident with your teaching. Meet students where they are at and help guide them to where they need to be.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers