Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Plant Parts

Early Childhood

Plant Parts

Author Post
Sol Jaurena Sol Jaurena 515 Points

Hello everyone! Teaching science is always a fun and interactive process which is why I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to create an activity/lesson where students could feel engaged while learning about plant parts and their functions.

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

I agree with Peggy, more information would be helpful.  Are you looking for simple naming of parts, or modeling functions, or comparing functions across life forms or communities?

When I plan lessons, which I am doing right now as my school is reopeining tomorrow, I start by observing and listening.  What questions are your students asking?  Where are their eyes being drawn?  That can help guide you in creating activities through which they can explore their questions.  Peggy listed a bunch of great resources, and once your students have narrowed down your topic for you, it will be easier to find ideas

That being said, music always helps.  I've attached a version of a song we sing in my class when plants are an interest.  The upload function is being grumpy for me, so it's in the text

Good luck!

Anne

Song  Parts of Plants

(the wheels on the bus)

The roots of a plant grow underground

underground, underground

The roots of a plant grow underground

Roots are parts of plants

The stems of a plant hold up the leaves

up the leaves, up the leaves

The stems of a plant hold up the leaves

Stems are parts of plants

The leaves of a plant make food from the sun

food from the sun, food from the sun

The leaves of a plant make food from the sun

leaves are parts of plants

The flowers of a plant are growing seeds

growing seeds, growing seeds

The flowers of a plant are growing seeds

flowers are parts of plants

Seeds of a plant drop to the ground

drop to the ground, drop to the ground

The seeds of a plant drop to the ground
Seeds are the start of plants

Adapted From:  101 Science Poems and Songs for Young Learners

by Meish Goldish               Schlolastic Professional Books 1996

ISBN 059096369

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Hi Sol,

I'm interested in your question but need a little more guidance: what ages/grades are you working with, and what are the NGSS or state standards you'd like to address?

KidsGardening has many activities but they may not meet your students' needs. Have you searched the Science and Children's Early Years columns and the Early Years blog posts for relevant lessons? See my collection in the NSTA Learning Center: The Early Years column, preK-grade 2 Collection, https://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=mOElq0krBP8_E via @NSTA 

Best wishes,

Peggy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers