Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Literature in Science

Elementary Science

Literature in Science

Author Post
Alexis Youngblut Alexis 4151 Points

What are your favorite ways to incorporate science into literature. Also, please share with me your favorite science picture books. Thank you!

Katherine Garza Katherine Garza 280 Points

I'm not a teacher, but i'm pursuing a career in elementary education, and i believe one of the best ways to incorporate literature is by having picture books, even in a 5th grade classroom. Picture books give the students visuals to subjects they are barley learning about. if the book doesn't have pictures, you can incorporate an experiment or a hands on activity to go with the book. this will keep the students engaged and excited about science! i hope this helped somehow.

Megan Doty Megan Doty 11847 Points

Hi Alexis,

I love teaching science with picture books! There is a set of articles within Science and Children that specifically focus on trade books you can use for different topics of study. Check out the search I did at this link:

http://common.nsta.org/search/default.aspx?action=browse&tex...l=&author=

(I just searched 'Teaching through Trade Books' in the search bar and then filtered down to Elementary School and Journal Articles on the left hand side)

I hope these help!
Megan

Brenda Velasco Mizenko Brenda Velasco 2695 Points

I do a lesson on endangered habitats. I read a book called "Prince William" by Gloria Rand (about Prince William Sound not the Prince in England.) It's about a little girl who finds a baby seal covered in oil after the Exxon Valdez spill. She names the seal Prince William after the sound. After this we take the next few science lessons to talk about how would be the best way to clean up the animals affected by the oil spill. I soak feathers in cooking oil and try to see what would help best to clean them up. We use different products such as shampoo, soap, Dawn dish soap, just water to name a few. Reading the book really makes a special connection to the experiment. The students really enjoy it.

Maxine Dibert Maxine Dibert 1355 Points

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing this book too, I have not heard of it and I live in Alaska.

Grace Restrepo Annmarie Vincenzo 525 Points

I love that science is interdisciplinary and can be tied into other subjects! It's especially nice because so many schools don't allow ample time for science instruction daily. Incorporating science content within literacy instruction is a great way to teach science. I am a junior in college enrolled in a science methods course and my professor introduced us to a great series of picture books called Professor Xargle books. Each book explores a science topic but in a satirical way. They are great for introducing new content and engaging the class. Also, on NSTA's website they have outstanding science trade books for grades K-12 posted each year. Here is the link to those book lists: http://www.nsta.org/publications/ostb/

Kaitlyn Brewer Kaitlyn Brewer 180 Points

I'm currently pursuing a career in Elementary Education, but through my several hours of observation and experience I have found a great resource for connecting literature and science is a program called Picture Perfect Science. It was created by veteran teachers who knew the time demand on organizing all of the instructional aspects of a lesson to create those strong science connections. This program lets you make those science connections through picture books which we all know that children love. It even has lessons with it too if I'm correct. I think you can purchase it off of NSTA. I would definitely recommend looking into it because it can be a really fun, meaningful, and engaging way to help your students develop a passion for science through literature! I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers