Forums

Forums / University/College Professors / "Are we taught to teach the college student?"

University/College Professors

"Are we taught to teach the college student?"

Author Post
Jeff Goldfinger Jeff Goldfinger 165 Points

*** Repeating my post from the Professional Learning Forum because it was suggested it's more appropriate here ***

My topic title comes from a line in a research paper by Dr. Eugena Griffin from Hostos Community College, part of the CUNY system.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10668926.2019.1590252

Stitching together corroborating claims from other researchers, she provocatively asserts that scientists without an attached education degree are rarely, if ever, taught how to teach college students. Her paper discussed a method she created to 'captivate and maintain student's attention, along with supporting them on their academic journey.'

I earned my engineering undergrad degree from Northwestern nearly 40 years ago and dabbled at an M.S. in Comp. Sci. from the Naval Postgraduate School about 20 years ago so my exposure is a bit dated. But both of those experiences validated for me Griffin's findings. We've all been there. Brilliant scientist-practitioner-researcher. Terrible professor.

What can be done about this besides forcing all higher education science educators to earn an Ed. degree - clearly an unworkable solution?

Thoughts?

Jeff

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers