Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Inquiry Based Lessons

Elementary Science

Inquiry Based Lessons

Author Post
Madison Miller Madison Miller 1295 Points

Does anyone have any interesting ideas for a 2-week inquiry based science lesson? Preferably for grades 1-5.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Madison, That is a very broad questions. I could suggest hundreds. I think your best bet would be to do an Advanced Search in the Learning Center for lesson plan ideas. Advanced Search can be found on the left side of your home page. Just choose lesson plans, a topic you have in mind, and grade level and you will get a host of great ideas for lesson plans from the journal articles. Since you are dealing with elementary look first at the Children and Science journal articles that are geared to elementary.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Madison, What standard are you trying to meet in this unit? What do want your students to learn? If you give me more information, I think I might feel better qualified to help you. I am looking forward to hearing more from you. Kathy

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Madison. You might try the NASA education guides, they're excellent and downloadable. Another good source is the NASA Explorer Schools site. Best of luck!

Tania Marrero Tania Marrero 2285 Points

Hi Madison, I am a preservice teacher and recently did two inquiry based lessons. One was on chromatography and the other is on how light travels for fifth graders. You have the resources right at your fingertips. NSTA has hundreds of articles that give you great ideas. If they are not exactly inquiry based, you can easily demonstrate the activity and have them investigate another variable. I will be teaching my "How does light travel" tomorrow to my fifth graders field class. Wish me luck. Best of luck to you as well. Tania

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Tania. Best of luck, tomorrow! I find that the Inquiry approach works best with my special needs kids. Hands on is the best approach with me with an experiment first then a presentation on why it worked and what happened. Once they are hooked, you can pull them in. JJ

Paula Taylor Paula Taylor 4005 Points

Hello Madison, James is right the NASA Education Guides are a wonderful resource if you're looking for some easy and fun inquiry based lessons. They range from grade 1-12 so you're sure to find one that is perfect for you and your class. I especially like the lesson entitled 3-2-1 POP! The students construct a rocket powered by the pressure generated from an effervescing antacid tablet reacting with water. It's sure to be a hit with all your students! Paula

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers