Forums

Forums / Chemistry / social distancing in a science lab

Chemistry

social distancing in a science lab

Author Post
Martha Fout Martha Fout 605 Points

Does anyone have guidelines for science teachers concerning social distancing and sanitizing equipment when students are able to return to thier classes?  I would love to have guidelines in place to help encourage teachers that they do not have to abandon science activities and labs in order to keep thier students safe.

Bess Hjartarson Bess Hjartarson 420 Points

I am also looking for guidance on this, our administration would like us to do in-person labs when we re-open in the fall and most of what is out there for sanitization etc. is pre-COVID.  It would be great if the NSTA could put out some guidelines.  

Asha Sharma Asha Sharma 295 Points

We are in the same situation as well. I am also looking for resources and guidance. 

Jasmine Mathew Jasmine Mathew 546 Points

https://www.maine.gov/doe/sites/maine.gov.doe/files/inline-files/Framework%20for%20Returning%20to%20Classroom%20Instruction%20UPDATE%207-17%20%284%29.pdf

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/aboutcharterschools/lawsandregs/covid19.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/lab-safety-practices.html

Interesting to see different state approaches to in person labs while keeping 6 feet social distance and wearing masks.

I will have all students take their temperature as they enter ourclassroom and have individual students at each of my 9 lab tables. 

The lab tables are spaced apart and can help students maintain their 6 ft distance.  

Rachel Schermerhorn Rachel Schermerhorn 275 Points

My only thought would be to create 'lab bins'. My old Marine Bio teacher would do this alot. Instead of students coming up to grab what they needed from large bins where everyone collected supplies, she would put whatever each group needed into a Sterilte tub that way they could just grab a tub and go. THen at the end of the lab they would put everything back in the tub and put it in the sink for cleaning. This would require a lot of materials but it is just  a thought. 

Shelby Ruff 370 Points

This may be a less than ideal solution, but my thought is that good lab hygiene includes washing your hands before you leave the lab (not to mention the glassware itself). That coupled with a way to clean the goggles and the newer evidence that suggests surfaces are much less likely to spread  COVID-19 than aerosols means I don't really worry about cotaminated lab equipment. Having enough tubs for individuals or smaller lab groups is the main problem.

Jessica Holmes Jessica Holmes 835 Points

I keep everyone in socially distanced, rotating groups since the CDC guidelines since you can be near someone less than 15 minutes. I am fortunate in that my school lets the students use gloves so they covers a lot for us. 

Sofia Henry Sofia 10 Points

great post

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers