Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Classroom Pets

Elementary Science

Classroom Pets

Author Post
Michelle Ankrum Michelle Ankrum 85 Points

Hello!  I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College.  At this school, I have had the chance to work with a variety of animals in the classroom setting, and have taught about them at a variety of settings.  From these experiences, I see the valuable connections students can form with the animals, and all they can learn about.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good classroom pets, and how to incorporate them into lessons?

Thank you!

Michelle Ankrum 

Wartburg College
Elementary Education
Class of 2020

Reading & Math Endorsements
Member National Science Teachers Association

Mason Foster Mason Foster 3015 Points

Hello!

I am a student studying Elementary Education at the University of Northern Iowa. I don’t really have any ideas on classroom pets but I have been thinking a lot about the importance of having living things in your classroom to help teach certain science topics such as adaptations. A really easy and affordable way to do this would be to have a bunch of different plants from a wide range of environments. Students could analyze at all these plants to notice all the variations in adaptations. You could also have the students grow their own plants so that they can learn about the plant life cycle. Many gardening stores throw out some of the plants that they don’t sell for a specific season so it would be rather inexpensive to start your own “greenhouse” in your classroom. Plus it really helps liven up the room!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers