Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Newton's First Law

Physical Science

Newton's First Law

Author Post
Summer Ragulsky Summer Ragulsky 1395 Points

I have to teach Newton's first law to three classes of fourth graders this Friday during a drop-in lesson at a local school. The lesson must be hands-on and I'm at a loss because I don't fully understand the concept myself. How on earth can I teach it? Any help and resources would be most appreciated. Thank you! 

Summer  

Jamison Bowlds Jamison Bowlds 1196 Points

Newtons first law states an will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. A good way to make this lesson hands on is to actually have the students use blocks or another object and show them they until an outside force acts upon the object it stays still, but as soon as it something acts on the object it will move. I would give the students a visual to what the law means.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

The entire March issue of Science & Children is dedicated to motion and stability. Even if this note doesn't get to you in time, there are many lesson ideas related to the topic -- Mary B 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers