Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Academic Language

Elementary Science

Academic Language

Author Post
Cara Cook Cara Cook 5795 Points

I just completed an excellent article entitled: Supporting Academic Language, by Laura Beth Kelly, in the new edition of Science and Children.  It was just what I needed to complete a STEM lesson. My first grade students are eager to learn, but their writing is not well developed yet.  In this article, Kelly explains that academic language is the language that will help students build conceptual knowledge. She had noticed that students typically did not to use the proper academic language when discussing a problem with their peers so it did not become a natural part of their vocabulary. I have noticed that, too. She listed three excellent strategies for encouraging proper academic language use: journal prompts, frequent feedback, and language stems. This was a great read. I recommend it for encouraging academic language. 

Briyanna Alexander Briyanna Alexander 765 Points

As a student teacher for first graders I know that it is important to make sure students undertsnad what you are teaching. First grade is also a foundational grade for students in regards to building on their knowledge. Although most of my first graders are good writers there are some that could use some help and I believe that this article would be helpful in giving me ideas to implement into the classroom. I will give it a read and I hope that it helps me get a better insight to give to my students.

Malari Finamore Malari Finamore 260 Points

Hi Cara! I just received my Science & Children magazine in the mail and I'm going to have to check this article out. I'm a preservice teacher and I have been learning a lot about academic language this semester. I think that the more that you have your students write, the better they will develop their academic language. I was in a classroom where the students started out like your students. They weren't good at writing or speaking academic language. By the end of the school year they had developed better writing skills and speaking in academic language. The teacher told me that she did a lot of grand conversations about things that they were learning. She found that by her modeling academic language and giving her students many opportunities to write and speak in the classroom, her students did a lot better.

Cara Cook Cara Cook 5795 Points

I believe we are laying a foundation of good science practices when we build academic language. The more we use it the more comfortable the students are using it. On Sunday, November 20, 2016, NSTA Learning Center wrote: >

Amy Lu Amy Lu 990 Points

I think that academic language is so important to build with students! I am student teaching at a school where over half the students are English Language Learners, and I have seen that using sentence stems and having the students repeat them as they are talking really helps them. I think it is important to use sentence stems whether the students are ELLs or not!

Kristina Tran Kristina Tran 770 Points

These resources are awesome!

Rosalva Pedraza Rosalva Pedraza 790 Points

I will make sure to take a look at this article. I think it would not only be beneficial information for my students but for myself as well, to improve my own vocabulary!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers