Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Science and Respecting Religion

Elementary Science

Teaching Science and Respecting Religion

Author Post
Helina Alvarez Helina 70 Points

Hi All! I'm an informal teacher and still pretty new to the educator world. A few months ago when visiting a 3rd grade class, I had an adorable student asked me "where did the animals come from?"...I paused before answering first, from being a bit thrown off topic, but also how to best answer the question in a simple, understanding context. Before I could even answer that student, another student answered and said very proudly  " oh, our great god bought them here". I smiled and quickly looked at their primary teacher not sure how to navigate that topic. This school is not religious, but it was in a smaller community where most of the population is. The teacher just replied "that is a conversation to have with your family", and then we returned back to the original lesson.  Therefore, I'm curious to see how other educators might respond if put in that situation, especially if there wasn't another teacher to assist.  Thanks in advance,  Helina

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers