Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Time to Spend on Misconceptions

New Teachers

Time to Spend on Misconceptions

Author Post
Romeel Adde Romeel Adde 440 Points

Hello All,

I am looking for some opinions how handle situations where there is some misconceptions on the material. Clearing up misconceptions is a vital part in the learning process because it brings in another layer of understanding. However, clearing up misconceptions must be done in a manner that promotes the students to use reasoning to find the correct answer. As teachers we should be doing our best to make sure that all the material is taught, but at the same time taking the time needed to make clear any confusion. In some subjects that are very dense with content there is not too much spare time. I was wondering how to know the amount of time that is needed to clear up a misconception and when to move on to other material.

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Romeel,

My answer is, “It depends!”

As you progress in your career you will likely amass a library of common and not-so-common misconceptions. My biggest advice is to always address them or they may spread amongst your students.  There are many ways to handle misconceptions that arise as you’re teaching science.  I caution against scoffing or ridiculing some outlandish claims.  It might be better to say, “I haven’t heard of that.  Shall we find out more?”

I feel that addressing misconceptions can and should become an integral part of your teaching and can offer excellent learning opportunities for your class.  One way is to pre-empt them by discussing the more common ones in your general instruction.  A better way is to gauge your class’s prior knowledge when you introduce a topic or ask them to supply you with three questions as an exit slip. Before the next class, sort the questions into ones that will be answered as part of your lessons and those that are either good questions but slightly off topic or misconceptions. The next time you meet, list all the questions that will be answered and tell them to hang tight. For the second list you can turn them back to the students as small research projects. In my class every student had to volunteer to answer one of these types of questions during the term with a small writeup and presentation. 

The most powerful way to handle misconceptions, particularly egregious ones, is to build entire lessons as “Fact or Fiction” or “Mythbusters.”  Have the students research, explain, demonstrate, and set the record straight for themselves.  Students also learn about the nature of science and how we handle discrepancies in our knowledge. 

Hope this helps!

Gabe

Emily Kramer Emily Kramer 1935 Points

Hi Romeel!

I think that clearing up student misconceptions is VERY important! However, I think that we should do that through engaging activities and explorations. I think that information sticks with students so much more if they do it in a way where they are truly discovering the information. I also think that whole class discussions can be a great way to help clear up some misconceptions. After some students present misconceptions you could ask questions such as 'what do you all think about this?' or 'do we have any other ideas about this idea?' This gives the students an opportunity to share their ideas, and politely argue/defend their ideas. Misconceptions can be very tricky, but dealing with them is such an important part of our job!

Romeel Adde Romeel Adde 440 Points

I like the idea of starting a discussion, as long as it can stay civil. I feel like students can learn a lot just from telling each other what they know. I will try to implement this in my classroom when I can. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers