Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Science Centers

General Science and Teaching

Science Centers

Author Post
Madison Miller Madison Miller 1295 Points

When I was in elementary school, centers were one of my absolute favorite activities. Does anyone have any suggestions for different centers that can be used throughout the year in an elementary classroom?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I just did a quick search for "science centers" (be sure to put the quotes to narrow the search) in the Search Engine and found 13 articles with lots of ideas. Good luck in make choices with so much to choose from!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Madison,
A while back, I created a collection of resources for science station ideas. You can access it at:
Science Learning Stations
As Betty mentioned, there are a lot of great ideas shared by other teachers.
Enjoy!
Carolyn

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

When I taught I never had classroom management issues because students were aware that timeout would not be at recess and instead at centers. They absolutely hated the idea of having to be an observer and not participate, good luck!

Angela Torres Angela 6190 Points

Hello Madison, In the school I am doing my field experience the teacher uses learning centers. They have various one. It is for a 2nd/3rd grade gifted class. The learning centers include writing, reading, science, and a "focus wall." A focus wall is one of the cutest things I have seen. It includes an essential question that students reflect on, think about and give answers to. I believe a new one is given every 2 weeks. For example, the one for this week was In Which Ways Do we Care for Animals? The focus wall also includes comprehension skills, how to find key details, the definition of cause & effect relationships, different genres, and grammar. Ina sense all these are applicable across all the subject matters. These are just some examples. Where I am observing these centers and focus wall work really well for these students. I would suggest that you continue to research and even take a poll in your class based on your students' needs, interests and learning styles. You have to do what works for your students. Wishing you the best in your endeavors!

Cynthia Brawner Cynthia Brawner 995 Points

One idea is to use materials that can be put together for mini science experiments or explorations.

Lisa Jasinski Lisa Jasinski 1090 Points

I am currently in school for education and I love the idea of science centers because you can cater to all learning styles by providing various activities. They can provide so many learning experiences for students in a short amount of time

Kelly Aaron kelly aaron 1220 Points

I Am Currently In School For Elementary Education And I Have Seen Many Science Centers, They Are Great For Student To Get Involved.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Madison! And all of the interested readers and contributors to this thread on science centers in elementary classrooms. In addition to all of the good ideas already shared on this thread by lively posters, it is fun to search resources within the Learning Center to discover items that speak to designing and establishing science learning centers within elementary classrooms. Some of these articles also give us ideas about how to integrate core topics with science and to insert science into classrooms that may be heavily weighted toward the basic 3R's:} Attached is a collection of some resources from the Learning Center that teachers deem as great examples to educators wishing to create science centers in the early grades. If you find one that is of particular interest, please share your thoughts with us. Your voice excites others! Many thanks ~patty

Science Centers in Elementary Classes Collection (8 items)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers