Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Classroom Management Advice

Pre-service Teachers

Classroom Management Advice

Author Post
Abbey McLean Abbey McLean 490 Points

Hi! My name is Abbey McLean, and I am a preservice teacher about to enter student teaching. I am majoring in Elementary Education with a concentration in Learning Disabilities. I feel like one of my weakest areas is classroom managment. This is one area that I wish we talked about more throughout my university's Elementary Education Program, as we don't take a classroom managment class until we are student teaching. I would love to hear any tips or suggestions that you have seen used in your clinicals, during student teaching, or learned in your classes. Thanks so much! 

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Abbey! I am also a preservice teacher majoring in Elementary Education with endorsements in Reading & English as a Second Language.

Throughout my classes, we discuss classroom managment a ton, so I think I can give you some tips! Attention grabbers, non-verbal cues, routines, engagement & rules are all imporant aspects in classroom managment. Attention grabbers could be things you call out, and they repeat it back(or a phrase) and then they know to listen to you. Examples: You: Red Robin Students: Yum You: Hocus Pocus Students: Everybody Focus. With non-verbal cues, this could easily be a hand signal to go to the bathroom, or grab a drink of water. Using these creates a less of distraction when you might be teaching a small group. Routines are another great managment tool because then students know what to expect, and what is expected of them. Engagement is another one because you want to make sure that you, and your students are engaged. You want to make sure they are interested in what you are teaching. Lastly, there are rules. Enforcing rules can be very helpful, and it helps you out so much! Having a list somewhere in your room is beneficial, so that way students know where to find them. I hope these are helpful!

Tierra Jenkins Tierra Jenkins 430 Points

Hi Abbey! I am also majoring in Elementary Education and as I'm doing my student teaching it is definitely the time to implement classroom management. My advice would be to use your decision making and better judgement skills. If you are not certain on your decision it is definitely fine to consult with your mentor teacher. They can give you great feedback. 

Tierra Jenkins Tierra Jenkins 430 Points

Hi Abbey! I am also majoring in Elementary Education and as I'm doing my student teaching it is definitely the time to implement classroom management. My advice would be to use your decision making and better judgement skills. If you are not certain on your decision it is definitely fine to consult with your mentor teacher. They can give you great feedback. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers