Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Lacking the Basics

New Teachers

Lacking the Basics

Author Post
Aaron Haeberle Aaron Haeberle 70 Points

Hello, I am currently a pre-service teacher and slowly realizing that I have never been taught the basics in setting up/cleaning lab equipment. As a life-science focused student, I still do not know how to make a petri dish sample. In short I was wandering if anyone could point me in the "right," or "best," direction to figure out the daily preparations of a Biology/Science Teacher? Thanks a million!

Thank you Tina, I am currently in my 300 levels of my program and have focused mostly on how to teach material effectively rather than what goes behind the scenes so to speak. I have done observations at schools and typically shown up with lab equipment previously set up. So I figured I would go here for small advice, and maybe tips on staying in the provided school budget (something I failed to mention in my first post).

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Hi Aaron, the good news is, a lot of the teacher text books and supplemental materials give you instructions as to how to set up and prepare materials for labs. In many cases your best resources are your fellow teachers. If you are honest and up front with them that you aren’t familiar with how to do something, they will help you out. The trick is to tell them early enough to be able to help you. Don’t wait to the last minute to ask for help. Give them plenty of time to plan ahead to work with you. Many will volunteer to prepare your materials when they prepare theirs. While it is really tempting to let them go ahead and do the work, accept their offer, but ask if you could accompany them and takes notes or even video of their preparation. We all know we learn best by hands-on, so being there will give you the opportunity to learn and ask questions. The key to learning is to ask. That is true for our students and true for us as well. Good luck as you continue on your path toward your certification.

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

This book is an extremely valuable resource. If your methods class did not require you to get it, I suggest that you do. http://www.amazon.com/Sourcebook-Biological-Sciences-Evelyn-Morholt/dp/0155828525

Thank you Sandy and Cris! Both your comments and links were extremely helpful. I've always been kinda hesitant to use the textbook ideas just because the ones I've seen seem to lack high student activity. That being said I've heard it was best to follow the textbook for the first year or two just to get the the groove of things. I also plan on visiting and talking to many of my future coworkers and gaining ideas from them. Thanks again for the advice!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers