Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Pre-Service Teacher Project

Earth and Space Science

Pre-Service Teacher Project

Author Post
Katie Irvine Katie Irvine 645 Points

Hi everyone! I am a pre-service teacher and for one of my courses, I need to plan a 10-day science unit. Does anyone have suggestions or tips on how to best implement inquiry-based learning, especially for younger students (grades 2-4)? Any input would be very beneficial as I move forward in learning about this process. Thank you!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

You might want to try force and motion lessons. They are very hands on. There are lots of lessons in the Learning Center to help you. Good luck.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

My best tip is to be sure you are providing an experience with them to engage with before you are divulging all the facts and concepts. Children need an experience to build their framework of understanding. Follow the 5E model, and be sure you have some hands-on projects, always giving time for allowing kids to explore and manipulate materials before presenting too much direct instruction about them. When I was in the elementary classroom, I integrated Emily Morgan and Karen Ansberry's Picture Perfect Science lessons into my curriculum. Using a children's book can be a great way to frame a lesson. I've also written this guide to inquiry science. I wrote it with parents and new teachers in mind, it may be of use: http://www.shareitscience.com/2016/04/what-is-inquiry-based-science-curriculum.html Good luck! Inquiry based teaching is a lot of fun and very rewarding!

Betty and Sarah--Thank you so much for your replies! I will definitely be sure to look into both of your suggestions. I appreciate your time!

Here is the collection I have made for my 10-day unit. I hope these resources will be helpful as I continue my planning. If anyone has any feedback, please feel free! Thanks!

10-Day Unit Resource: Animal Habitats Collection (11 items)
- Journal Article
- Journal Article

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers