Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Engaged

Early Childhood

Engaged

Author Post
Amber Ybarra Amber Ybarra 380 Points

As a soon to be teacher I wonder, what are some great ways to keep my students engaged in the lesson? Especially now that we are virtual, how can I ensure that my students don't lose interest and just stop paying attention knowing I'm not physically there to redirect them back to the lesson? 

Wendy Lusk Smith Wendy Lusk Smith 210 Points

In my opinion, I think if you can find ways to make the information relevant to them, they will stay engaged. If you're teaching science, how does it affect them? If you're teaching math, use objects and data they can relate to, or are affected by, and throw in some unexpected humor whenever possible. Also, I think whatever you can do, to reach out and show them love, that will help them care about what ever knowledge you have to share with them.

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

While your teaching, I would have questions within powerpoints to answer to see if they are understanding the material. Always make it fun and then you should have their attention.

Chloe Nixon Chloe Nixon 950 Points

That is a great question, espcially nowawdays this may become a norm. I think it is important to make your lecture/lesson fun and interactive. Even when there is a lot of information to go over, there are several ways you can create ways to make it fun and engaging. For example, have students search fun facts about the content, they may get really excited about sharing their fun fact. Or have some type of guessing game that involves the content and students get to guess the correct answer. Or you could incorporate other things such as a readers theater; you could send out the script to all of your students that kind of gives an example of what the content is and each student gets a part and is also engaged, while learning. It is harder to create more hands-on activities; but take advantage of the many online resources there are. Use starter activities and try to find creative ways to get students engaged. I hope this helps!

Chloe Nixon

Preservice Teacher

Wartburg '24

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers