Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science in a small space

New Teachers

Science in a small space

Author Post
Julie Niemzyk Julie Niemzyk 690 Points

Hi everyone! This semester I am lucky to be able to teach my science lessons in a large science lab with plenty of space for students to engage in hands on activities, large equipment that can be used by students, sinks, and much more. However, I realize that this is not the reality of most schools. What are some tips for teaching science (especially "messier" topics involving water or other materials) in a small classroom without sinks or much room for students to engage in hands on activities that require large tools or lots of room? Thanks!

William Grover William Grover 6585 Points

I have found that reducing the amount of work sites to one and having the students participate as a whole class with these limited resources allows some hands on work in a small space. Ideally each student would be in a working group to get in there and make it happen. Unfortunately we need to provide the most with the least. I alternate my groups for each lesson to allow a rotating hands on group during the school year. thanks

Larosa Etienne larosa etienne 1220 Points

I am studying to be a teacher, so I would love some ideas as well. Please and thank you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers