Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Science at home

Informal Science

Science at home

Author Post
Hannah Snyder Hannah Snyder 45 Points

Hello! I am a student in an early elementary program. My question is how do we encourage students to take science home when they do not have the resources for books or other ways of resources? Becuase anyone can test and ask questions just by interacting with the physical workd, but how do we give them access to finding answers to those questions if they do not have the ability to afford books or devices with internet. 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Not all home explorations require books or internet access. There are so many experiments students can do at home that require next to no resources. If you're worried about access to some of the basic materials, you could provide materials for students who need it, but I know that can get expensive fast depending on your class sizes! Maybe build it into your supply purchases and students put together their home kits at school so that way everyone gets it and the school funds it? Its been a while since I taught in the public school system. I remember having a very low budget - but most of these suggestions seem like they would fit what I recall of the budget. 

https://mommypoppins.com/kids/50-easy-science-experiments-for-kids-fun-educational-activities-using-household-stuff 

https://sciencebob.com/category/experiments/ 

You could also do something like a science scavenger hunt where they simply look for examples in their world (like soap dissolving or gas bubbles from soda) 

Olivia Pederson Olivia Pederson 30 Points

Hi Hannah!

I am also studying early childhood education. I think your question brings up a good point about some children not having access to the resources to make the most out learning science at home, but I also think there are a lot of ways to learn about science that do not require these resources. For example, children can learn a lot about the environment by simply spending time outdoors and exploring different environments. One thing that I did as a child was collecting a bunch of different flowers from my backyard or a park and comparing them. This was a good way for me to be able to see what differences species of flowers had in common despite looking very different.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I often ask students to come to school with 3 examples of simple machines (or whatever our science focus might be) they see outside of school. Hinges, pulleys, etc. Science is everywhere!

Julia Uribe Julia Uribe 615 Points

I think you need to think out of the box when it comes to science at home. The students can help their parents cook dinner, they can observe how heat affects vegetables and meats. How liquids can turn into solids and gases by freezing and boiling water. You could send a worksheet about recycling and how they can begin to sort their trash at home. They can observe the nature around their homes and write or draw down what they see and compare it to nature near their school. As a previous post says science is everywhere to limit it to what’s in books and online.

Kaitlyn Kukino Kaitlyn Kukino 660 Points

Hi Hannah,

I think you bring up a great question, but I don't think that science always needs to be an experiment with all kinds of materials. I think science can even just be wonderings, questions, or thinking about solutions. It can be about anything. I think that NGSS is interesting in the way that it is based in inquiry, wondering, and phenomenon. It ties in well with your question. I have some suggestions that might be helpful.

Students could draw their questions or wonderings and bring it to school with them. Maybe you could give students a journal with a pen so that they have that at least. They could even glue a collection of whatever they wonder about. I always used to have kids that collect little seed/beans that fall of the tree, different colored leaves, sticks. Honestly, just things that interest them and spark engagement.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers