Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Building Up My Resume

New Teachers

Building Up My Resume

Author Post
Sarah Campbell Sarah Campbell 415 Points

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Sarah Campbell and I am a third-year Elementary Education major at Wartburg College. My endorsements are in reading, special education, and hopefully coaching. In my courses, we are starting to create and add to our resumes, but I would like some advice on what extras I could add to make myself a fierce competitor for a position? Also, I am involved in several different organizational programs including soccer, so I was wondering what aspects of these organizations should I include and ways to describe them professionally? For example, I am a captain on the Wartburg women's soccer team, should I incorporate that into my resume, and if so how? 

Thank you in advance for your response to the questions or any advice that would be helpful!

Sarah Campbell

Donna Governor Donna Governor 8460 Points

Sarah, so glad you are reaching out for advice!  You are about to enter the best profession ever.  Your endorsements that you currently have in the works will make you a very competitive candidate for a position when you graduate.  Since each state has different endorsements, and hiring practices vary from state-to-state, I can't speak to what you need to add to your certificate. In Georgia, I think Gifted certification goes a long way, but generally it isn't recommended for preservice teachers.

What is more important is that you build your resume with experiences that show you are involved in your professional community. Attend your state's science teacher's conference or STEM conference.  Take leadership in your college's education club or NSTA student chapter.  Volunteer at your local elementary to coach a program there.  Incorporate these experiences on your resume that show what you can bring to the position.  One of my preservice teachers contacted me after she started teaching wanting to know how to run a Science Olympiad team because her principal had asked her to start one.  Another contacted me with a similar question about robotics.  Helping coach one of these teams now at a local elementary, or judging for one of the local school district competitions would show a potential employer you are willing to do extra, and are knowledgeable about it.

Sarait Mendoza Sarait Mendoza 970 Points

Hey Sarah, my advisor always guided me and told me that it won't hurt to add more to your resume at the end of the day! Being on a team while balancing your classes with other activities shows that you can manage your time, are a team player, and can handle different situations under pressure. I wish you the best and you will be an amazing teacher!! Keep pushing yourself! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers