Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Basic Significant Information for Kindergarteners

General Science and Teaching

Basic Significant Information for Kindergarteners

Author Post
Veronica Winegarner Veronica Winegarner 1870 Points

I’ve been thinking about how I introduce and make real some of the concepts of the “Universe” SciPack to kindergarteners. First, I encourage my students to keep an eye on the sky in order to provide them some of the most basic information about the objects in the universe that surrounds us. [Of course, I warn them, as my teacher always did, not to look directly at the sun ever.]

We have spoken about what we have seen in the sky. Everyone mentions the sun, the moon, and the stars. We talk about the clouds and rainbows. We talk about birds and planes. Often, someone even mentions the mountains since they seem to “poke” into the sky.

First, we talk about how far away the objects in the sky are. The students know that birds are closer than planes, but we also talk about the fact that clouds vary in their places in the sky, some closer and some farther than planes.

We also talk about fog, rare in Hawai’i, and how it is a cloud that is right on the ground, so in that case, some clouds are closer to the ground than bird are.

We talk a little too about the mountains, which I help them to understand, are the world itself. Some parts are higher than others, but all of them are the “ground,” which the outer surface of the planet on which we live.

We then talk about the moon and how it is closer than the sun, and we talk about why the sun looks smaller than the moon does because the sun is so much farther away, even though the sun is so much larger.

The facts about the sun and the moon help the students understand how the stars, because they are so much farther away, look even smaller than our sun even though many are larger than the sun.

I am often surprised by how much even such basic information is such a source of wonder for my young students. Their surprise reminds me of how much there is to learn when we are small and how every little bit of information is significant in itself.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Veronica, You certainly sound like a teacher who makes science concepts interesting and concrete for young students. I agree that it is amazing how much small children have to learn. I love to see their "ah ha" moments when they are learning something new and find it fascinating. Keep up the good work.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Veronica,

I'm so happy that you highlighted the the sense of wonder and amazement that young students have when they wonder and learn. I love excitement that kindergartners have about everything I introduce. It's so much fun to see pure joy of learning!

I really like the way you are teaching about the sky! What a fantastic way to get your kiddos excited and inspired about learning. The sky unit is always one of my favorite to teach. I also like to include parents by including at home stargazing and moon phase charts. I also use the Starry Night Elementary Curriculum to help my students visualize our solar system and galaxy.

I'm curious how other teachers are inspire a love of learning in their students.

Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers