Forums

Forums / Research in Science Education / Teaching Science Online

Research in Science Education

Teaching Science Online

Author Post
Tempia Fitchette Tempia Fitchette 775 Points

Is it difficult to teach science online?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I have been teaching college level sciences online for two years at a private institution. The challenges are different than face-to-face, which I did for a decade prior. Are there particular concerns you have that we could discuss? 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

This sounds so interesting. I'd like to learn more about it. 

Tara Spitzer-List Tara Spitzer-List 60 Points

Difficult in what sense? I am teaching science online. I think it has to be supplemented with some hands-on labs as well, but it can certainly be successful.

Emily Faulconer Faulconer 5755 Points

I definitely lean towards hands-on labs ... which is why I selected mail-order lab kits for my online/distance ed chemistry course. However, significant advancements are being made with VR and I am very excited to see what the next few years hold. eScience Labs is currently developing VR laboratory experiences in several disciplines. 

Karel Jacobs Karel Jacobs 245 Points

Have you collected/analyzed learning data to compare achievment in the online versus face to face science courses? in essence, are students missing out on the hands on?

Thanks!

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I have published in this area! 

Julia Brodsky Julia Brodsky 195 Points

For the last couple of years, I have been teaching Earth and Space Science online - and I love it! The challenges are very different, but there are tons of materials and citizen science available online. I have more discussions than in regular classroom, and kids love that they can answer in chat, without waiting for another student to finish their thought :)

In a way, we do a flipped classroom, with hands-on experiments being done as a homework, and a discussion of the results and approaches during the classroom. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers