Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Community Resources

General Science and Teaching

Community Resources

Author Post
Jennifer Jones Jennifer Jones 2905 Points

I have been looking online to find places around Maryland that will come and talk to students for free by grants or by volunteering. I enjoyed the presentation by Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation. Are there others that teachers have used?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Does Maryland have a state conservation or natural resources department? In my state of Missouri they are great to come and talk to classes. You could also do a Google search for science non-profit organizations in Maryland. What about the science center in Baltimore? Are they close to you? They might be able to help.

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

I have had great success by contacting local Universities and asking for help. One year, from the Physics Dept., a grad student brought a prototype communication satellite to the classroom and explained how they were made, what they did, and how they were tested. The kids loved it and the satellite he brought to class was unlike anything any of the students had predicted it would look like (very "eye-opening"). Another time, a professor brought out small core samples and showed the students what they were used for...and he left two with me. I've also had vets come out and show the kids about animal sciences (parasites, types of medicines used to treat animals, and job skills/requirements). Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Amanda Upton Amanda Upton 6030 Points

For those of you that teach agricultural science lessons in your classrooms we offer a new $5000 award plus resources from DuPont/Pioneer, it's called the D/P Agricultural Science Educator Award. In addition to the $5k for your program you receive an expense paid trip to the national conference on science education, which next year is in Chicago. Go to www.nsta.org/awards You can't win if you don't apply!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers