Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Technology in Science Labs

Elementary Science

Technology in Science Labs

Author Post
Margaret Howard Margaret Howard 180 Points

Hello! 

My name is Margaret and I am wondering how to best incorporate technology as an asset to an experiment with elementary students and not as a distraction? 

Thank you! 

Derrick Lietz Derrick Lietz 438 Points

Hi Margaret,

I understand your concern for technology being a distraction for students, especially in today's age where adults can be distracted by technology as well. I think one of the most important ideas for using technology in the classroom is to set expectations and rules for using the technology. It should be viewed by the students as a privilege to use technology. If the expectations and rules aren't followed, it will be important to ensure you follow through with your expectations/rules (whatever way that may be, ex: taking away the device, etc.).

I also believe another strategy that can be useful is by setting up roles for each student. Perhaps each student can have a turn being the 'technology expert' during each experiment. That way you know what students have the technology and you only need to focus on that bunch. The student will also know their expectations and understand that you're watching them.

Technology is only growing from here, so I think it is extremely important to ensure we're utilizing it in our classrooms in any way we can!

Good luck!

- Derrick

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers